[SOLVED] Is there a purpose for the sensor 4pin?

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Hello, I have a Sliverstone ST75F-PT and I've decided to start on a new project. Sleeving the cables! But I noticed that the 20pin+4pin motherboard connector is connected to an additional 4pin connector connecting to the psu side which is supposedly the sensor cable. I am wondering if I can just leave that cable out or will that cause problems with my psu? Also if it is required, what is that type of connector called so I can purchase it.

Solution
Lots of PSUs have more than 24-pins on the PSU end of the 20+4-pin cable. My Seasonic PSU has 10 + 18 pins on the PSU for 20+4 pins for the motherboard. This doesn't mean that the "extra" 4 pins are there for no reason.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 4-pin.

I bought a set of individually sleeved cables from CableMod, and they did indeed include all 28 pins for the 20+4-pin connector. The joints where some of the additional wires from the PSU were joined together for the 24-pin were very well made, and you can make it look great.

So instead of leaving them out, consider ways to make joints look as seemless as you can, and do it at a good location on the cable, so the joints will be hidden behind the motherboard for example, or...

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Yes, I assume that is the +12V extra power supply. Some motherboards does require it while other doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the extra 12V, if you count the pins on the psu, there is 24 already. There is a 4 pin already connected to the 20pin, but the one I'm talking about is another 4pin that comes off of the 24pin, which the psu labels as the sensor cable. The connector that connects to the motherboard is exactly 24 pins, but the connector that connects to the psu is a 24 pin and another 4 pin (sensor cable).

Lots of PSUs have more than 24-pins on the PSU end of the 20+4-pin cable. My Seasonic PSU has 10 + 18 pins on the PSU for 20+4 pins for the motherboard. This doesn't mean that the "extra" 4 pins are there for no reason.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 4-pin.

I bought a set of individually sleeved cables from CableMod, and they did indeed include all 28 pins for the 20+4-pin connector. The joints where some of the additional wires from the PSU were joined together for the 24-pin were very well made, and you can make it look great.

So instead of leaving them out, consider ways to make joints look as seemless as you can, and do it at a good location on the cable, so the joints will be hidden behind the motherboard for example, or where it fits your specific setup, so it is not visible.

Solution