Is there a quick restore disc for Dell 2400?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Does the 2400 come with a quick restore disc? I see there are about
five different discs but not one that reads quick restore. If I want
to restore the pc back to factory specifications how do I go about it?

There is one disc that reads - contents: Device drivers, diagnostic
and utilities, computer documentation. The second disc is
Reinstallation CD: XP home including sp1 The third disc is contents -
Drivers and utilities, drivers, online documentation, modem and hold,
The forth disc reads Application: For reinstalling Dell tools system
software.

Would I just reformat the drive, install xp and then install each one
of those three other discs?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dell Software Reinstall Guide - Dimension 2400"
http://tinyurl.com/6og5p

Ted Zieglar

"Nicolas The Great" <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
news:fe14f4af.0409281613.b5096a4@posting.google.com...
> Does the 2400 come with a quick restore disc? I see there are about
> five different discs but not one that reads quick restore. If I want
> to restore the pc back to factory specifications how do I go about it?
>
> There is one disc that reads - contents: Device drivers, diagnostic
> and utilities, computer documentation. The second disc is
> Reinstallation CD: XP home including sp1 The third disc is contents -
> Drivers and utilities, drivers, online documentation, modem and hold,
> The forth disc reads Application: For reinstalling Dell tools system
> software.
>
> Would I just reformat the drive, install xp and then install each one
> of those three other discs?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No. It comes with an XP disk and all the software you can reinstall.

No way to get back to a 'factory image'.

Tom
"Nicolas The Great" <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
news:fe14f4af.0409281613.b5096a4@posting.google.com...
> Does the 2400 come with a quick restore disc? I see there are about
> five different discs but not one that reads quick restore. If I want
> to restore the pc back to factory specifications how do I go about it?
>
> There is one disc that reads - contents: Device drivers, diagnostic
> and utilities, computer documentation. The second disc is
> Reinstallation CD: XP home including sp1 The third disc is contents -
> Drivers and utilities, drivers, online documentation, modem and hold,
> The forth disc reads Application: For reinstalling Dell tools system
> software.
>
> Would I just reformat the drive, install xp and then install each one
> of those three other discs?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That is not true of systems shipped after mid-July 2004, which have a
Symantec restore partition on the hard drive, accessible through the boot
(F12) menu.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:KPOdneCyRfhplcfcRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
> No. It comes with an XP disk and all the software you can reinstall.
>
> No way to get back to a 'factory image'.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'll be darned. Even the 2400?

My March machine did not.
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
news:mPn6d.4556$gZ5.4108@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
>
> That is not true of systems shipped after mid-July 2004, which have a
> Symantec restore partition on the hard drive, accessible through the boot
> (F12) menu.
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:KPOdneCyRfhplcfcRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
>> No. It comes with an XP disk and all the software you can reinstall.
>>
>> No way to get back to a 'factory image'.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Hd-dnSZ8nuF9iMfcRVn-uw@comcast.com...
> I'll be darned. Even the 2400?
>
> My March machine did not.


<snip>


That is correct. Looks like sometime in the July timeframe. CTL+F11 at boot
to get to the UI.....


Stew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ok guys, I tried the F12 at boot...that got me into the diagnostics area
etc. Cntrl F11 just gets "Keyboard error" notice.
What do I do if I did want to go to the Dell snap shot restore thing?
Gary
 

Tim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
1,833
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The PC restore utility is implemeted in systems shipped after July-16.
It can be accessed by pressing Ctrl+F11 when you see the DELL logo
during POST.
It will not work if the MBR is modfed( like debug ).

Tim.

"Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message news:<UXK6d.13299$rb4.9118@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> Ok guys, I tried the F12 at boot...that got me into the diagnostics area
> etc. Cntrl F11 just gets "Keyboard error" notice.
> What do I do if I did want to go to the Dell snap shot restore thing?
> Gary
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ffcc792e.0409302157.2c6907e2@posting.google.com...
> The PC restore utility is implemeted in systems shipped after July-16.
> It can be accessed by pressing Ctrl+F11 when you see the DELL logo
> during POST.
> It will not work if the MBR is modfed( like debug ).
>
> Tim.
>


Yep. Or if the original partitions have been deleted, especially the
utility/diag partition (1).


Stew