Is there a real difference between value & performance ram?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, high-end ram sticks use high quality IC's that oc alot higher then the stuff used in cheap sticks. Cheap ram will probably contain IC's made by Elpida, Hynix, Samsung, ect. High quality ram will usually use Micron D9 IC's.

Unless your going to oc, there's no point in spending the extra cash for better IC's, most anything will work fine.

neveremember

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
what about noise? I recently picked up some ADATA DDR400 for a 939 board, and it makes this audible ticking sound that i've never heard from ram before. i'm not sure if there's something wrong with the ram or if it's just what i get for buying cheap ram.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
what about noise? I recently picked up some ADATA DDR400 for a 939 board, and it makes this audible ticking sound that i've never heard from ram before. i'm not sure if there's something wrong with the ram or if it's just what i get for buying cheap ram.

Well, I am pretty sure that no ram should make noise, budget or not... I would return that set before something gets fried... I would first adjust them in the slots and make sure they are seated securely... But if they are, and they continue to "tick" I would return those. Possibly loose current creating a small arch on the ram? Idk... but Ticking + Ram = no good...

Oh, and dude, try not to jack some ones forum... Creating your own will most definitely get responses... Unless it is really stupid.. Next time make your own...'

micahkanchan, the above post have answered your question quite well.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
the way i see it, there isn't any performance difference between performance and value ram, however, performance ram lets other things go faster (higher fsbs etc...)