is there a reference: type I or type II

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.

If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way to
do this?

Thanks,
kristin

"Kristin" <khrysalis@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
> sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
> type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
> Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.
>
> If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way to
> do this?

Most programs (the good ones, anyway...;-) will accept either
type, and the choice of presets (and codec needed) is made in
the program. It is unlikely now that you will run into type II now,
and also unlikely if you are using a generic FireWire card (type
II is "proprietary" in that the hareware and codec used with it
tend to be brand/model-specific. The Canopus site does have
good free converter software for the two types, but I think
the type II files may need to be Canopus-generated. Basically,
all of this is probably a non-issue for you...;-)
--
David Ruether
rpn1@cornell.edu

Rich

"Kristin" <khrysalis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
> sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
> type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
> Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.
>
> If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way
> do this?
>
> Thanks,
> kristin

Can't help you on the reference chart other than Type II is what I normally
encounter except Movie Maker 2 creates type I.

http://www.videohelp.com/ is an excellent source of information.

I usually use Ulead DV Converter to change from Type I to Type II. Its free
and located at:

http://www.ulead.com/download/dvconverter/download.htm

I've also used Canopus DV File Converter which has more features (which I've
never needed) it's also free and located at:

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/dv_file_converter/pm_dv_file_converter.asp

My conversions have always been painless with the above.

Rich

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Kristin" <khrysalis@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
>sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
>type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
>Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.
>
>If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way to
>do this?
>
>Thanks,
>kristin

You should be able to get this information by going to the company
site for a certain program and look at the details for the program.
eg Ulead www.ulead.com In some cases the program will accept both type
I and type II. If you are uncertain of the site address then try
looking up the program in www.dvdrhelp or www.google.com

Regards Brian

"> Can't help you on the reference chart other than Type II is what I
normally
> encounter except Movie Maker 2 creates type I.
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/ is an excellent source of information.
>
> I usually use Ulead DV Converter to change from Type I to Type II. Its
free
> and located at:
>
> http://www.ulead.com/download/dvconverter/download.htm
>
> I've also used Canopus DV File Converter which has more features (which
I've
> never needed) it's also free and located at:

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/dv_file_converter/pm_dv_file_converter.asp

> My conversions have always been painless with the above.
>
> Rich

Thanks! To all of you who took the time for explanations and great links!
When I dig into this, I know I will find more good info here.

regards,
kristin

In article <JCKlc.4232$a47.3208@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Kristin
<URL:mailto:khrysalis@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
> sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
> type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
> Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.
>
> If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way to
> do this?
>
> Thanks,
> kristin

I haven't got a table or such, but apps can react in strange ways to some.
Ulead VS7 will edit AVI-2 much more slowly, similar to mpeg files, while
AVI-1 edits like greased lightning.
The new Canopus' Let's Edit will only handle AVI-2, with the most versatile
edit scrolling choices I have come across. The DVD (mpeg) files it produces
can be processed to DVDs with either Ulead VS7 or Power Producer very fast.

Regards,
Max

--

Max Haltermann, Geelong VIC
maxh@pipeline.com.au

jaco

Dietmar Haltermann a écrit :

> In article <JCKlc.4232$a47.3208@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Kristin
> <URL:mailto:khrysalis@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere that could help me
>>sort the different applications as to whether they will accept type I or
>>type II avi? I am particularly interested in: Premiere Pro, Ulead VS7,
>>Screenblast, and Studio 9 and the XP Movie Maker.
>>
>>If I find I have to convert some of my older stuff, What is the best way to
>>do this?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>kristin
>>

> I haven't got a table or such, but apps can react in strange ways to some.
> Ulead VS7 will edit AVI-2 much more slowly, similar to mpeg files, while
> AVI-1 edits like greased lightning.
> The new Canopus' Let's Edit will only handle AVI-2, with the most versatile
> edit scrolling choices I have come across. The DVD (mpeg) files it produces
> can be processed to DVDs with either Ulead VS7 or Power Producer very fast.

> Regards,
> Max

You can get Canopus_DV_File_Converter.exe from the Canopus site.
The program allows the AVI I <-> AVI II conversion