Question Is there a seperate cpu cooler for submerging in mineral oil

Feb 28, 2019
Hi

Is there a seperate cpu heatsink design if you submerge it in mineral water, or is there a custom fan made to work better in mineral oil.

And is mineral oil like more "thicker" as like honey or is it like water?

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't think about submerging your CPU in mineral oil. It might be fun a gimmicky project but it's a waste of resources. It's not even close to water.

FYI, I'm giving you a public warning to not use the tagging system to make silly tags like the one you just did, with URGENT ANSWER NEEDED.
Lutfij

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The mineral oil submersion has been marketed and shown, but effectively it is not a good way to cool a system.

Full stop.

We used to have a link in the watercooling sticky sub-section with dozens of threads around mineral oil cooling...just as a reminder of how much this idea gets recycled.

popatim

Titan
Agree'd. I used to have one but after a couple of years with it I dumpstered the whole thing. It gets to be a royal pain to maintain & work on when there are issues. The oil is not maintenance free fwiw... And then when you have to work on it, you have this massively oily & drippy mess to deal with.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you dont have @ $10k to spend on a mineral oil pc, and $2k a year in maintenance/replacement parts, then a standard air cooled/water cooled 'free air' pc is a far better option. Mineral oil pc's were made just to prove they could be done, but having been done, several times, there's no honest reason to re-do them.