Question Is there a short in my motherboard?

Jan 17, 2020
So my pc is about 10 years old and I am suddenly having an issue where it will only run for a few minutes before it abruptly turns off. I've already tried a new psu, makes no difference. Tried hooking up a blank ssd and it still shuts off so doesn't seem windows related. Temperature readings in bios seem normal, cpu temp is 79-80 C and ioh temp only gets to around 53C before shutdown. I don't see any visual signs of damage on the motherboard but I don't know what else it could be. I know I could test it with a current reader but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Is there anything else that can cause this?

Remeca

Reputable
80C is not a good temperature to see in the BIOS, that's way too hot. That's the kind of temperature you should be seeing under heavy sustained load, in bios you shouldn't be much over 10C warmer than your room temperature.

Jan 17, 2020
ah that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't even thinking of the difference between bios temp and operating temp haha. Why would it increase so much all at once? Had no shutdown or stability issues until turning it off overnight for the first time in weeks a few days ago

Jan 17, 2020
Well I am definitely overdue for a thorough cleaning/dust removal though it is not terribly dirty. I will try that and reapply thermal paste if nothing else works though at that point I may just consider buying a new pc due to the age of my system. Thanks for your help