Is there a software to check what ports for SSD do I have?

kevienfox

Prominent
Dec 1, 2018
Hi, I'd like to know if there is a software that does, without disabling laptop or PC.
This will be helpful to verify what kind of SSD a client should buy.

I appreciate your help :)

Usually the BIOS itself will list the ports and a descriptor of each device attached. You shouldn't need a utility in that case.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you mean the capability of each port? as in: SATA-3 GB/s vs SATA-6GB/s? Or if it uses PATA, SATA, eSATA, M.2 or U.2 interface? Because the best place to find that information is look up the motherboard on the manufacturer's support web page and read the specifications.

Utilities are often times very dumb and just use look-up tables that have bad information in them.

Not really, it'd be far more reliable to simply look up the specific model/specs of whatever laptop is being used...

THere are very few laptops that can't at least use a standard 2.5" SATAIII drive such as a Samsung 860 EVO, Crucial MX500, etc...; Many of the slimmest laptops might only have room for exactly one drive, however, making migration/cloning a bit more challenging.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
The website, user manual, and service manual of whatever motherboard or laptop you're working with.

kevienfox

Prominent
Dec 1, 2018

Yes, like port SATA, eSATA, M.2. I have a hp pavilion g4 2368la but I can't find motherboard information on website, so this will be annoying for any old laptops I guess? because mine is like 8 years old, I just wanted to know if there was a simply way to look up about hardware.

Here's the HP manual for it:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593574.pdf

But my bet would be it's a SATA interface, probably 3GB/s but a 6GB/s SSD will operate in 3GB/s mode with no problems.

kevienfox

Prominent
Dec 1, 2018

Thanks mate, unfortunately I wasn't able to find ports, there are only two for SSD, SATA from hard disk and from optic drive.