[SOLVED] Is there a STANDARD for checking internet speed tests?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
There are so many options. At home for wifi I use the "Speedtest" by Ookla app.

For my PC I just type in "internet speed test" and utilize the "Run Speed Test" button right there at the top.

I'm surprised there is no GO TO "this is the standard" speed test checker. I understand there are variables etc.. but generally there is a standard for things.

If there isn't would you mind telling me what you use and a little bit about why?

Solution

For my PC I just type in "internet speed test" and utilize the "Run Speed Test" button right there at the top.

I'm surprised there is no GO TO "this is the standard" speed test checker. I understand there are variables etc.. but generally there is a standard for things.

If there isn't would you mind telling me what you use and a little bit about why?
There is no standard because there is no guaranteed internet speed, except from you to your ISP. So if your ISP has a speedtest then using it will determine if you are getting the service you are paying for. Any performance beyond that has no performance guarantee.
Speedtest can be useful to...

kanewolf

Titan

There is no standard because there is no guaranteed internet speed, except from you to your ISP. So if your ISP has a speedtest then using it will determine if you are getting the service you are paying for. Any performance beyond that has no performance guarantee.
Speedtest can be useful to determine a baseline performance and then, using the SAME test compare at a later date. So, it doesn't matter which one you use as long as you are consistent.

Solution