is there a usb wifi adapter that actually works?!

freestonew

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yes, is there a usb wifi adapter that works?! I have an old emachine, windows 7, that has no wireless card. the pci express slots are filled, only pci slot left. I have tried two usb wifi dongles, I might as well use a hot dog for a wifi card, in my building with poor reception and many users. on my new machine, though, a pci express high quality wifi card with a real antenna really works well.
one of those cheap dongles, I tossed out. the other is only marginally better. Amazon has many of these, some of them have 350 reviews all five stars, shills and fake reviews. many are made in china with very flaky software.
so.
IS there any usb wifi adapter that brings in weak signals well, and is reliable?!
or is it that usb way to go really is not as good as a internal card? I have only one or two pci slots left. if no usb adapter really works, can anyone recommend, then, a pci internal card?!
thanks...freestone

Solution
The ones i used are these and they did with me very well,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/tTGkcf,qn3RsY/
the T4U i still use.Make sure you install the right drivers so before doing that check the revision of the wifi card you have. It's on the little sticker on the device.Use the latest drivers as well of course.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The ones i used are these and they did with me very well,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/tTGkcf,qn3RsY/
the T4U i still use.Make sure you install the right drivers so before doing that check the revision of the wifi card you have. It's on the little sticker on the device.Use the latest drivers as well of course.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Those i linked do pretty well,but with me there was "only" on floor in between although pretty thick concrete and in a corner where reception isn't great. Getting the right drivers will help as well.The ones i linked come with a cable too so you can move them around abit for best reception.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i always suggest a long cable for these and getting them up nice and high if possible. under a desk, buried with a bunch of cables and dust bunnies is no way to get the best results from a usb adapter. the AC1200 comes with a good 6 ft cable but i put it at the end of a 9 ft one and have it tacked up on the wall above the pc nice and high.

saw a large increase in speed that way over even sitting on top of the tower which is on my desk. that extra 2-3 ft higher netted a solid 200 mb/s speed increase!! was about 500 mb/s and now it's around 700 mb/s across the house from the router. (note i am on a GB connection so my speed is stupid fast anyway)