Is there a way to add a @nd Drive to a A1040 A (PW567AA - ..

While the upgrading and servicing guide that came with it shows
a little cradle for a 2nd harddrive below the existing hard
drive, there isn't such a cradle in mine (or on HP parts
surfer) . HP support say with all the other bays occupied (with
1DVD reader writer, 1 CD reader Writer, one memory card reader,
one 3.5 " drive, one sound/USB/IE1394 output) I cannot add a
second harddrive.

I want two harddrives as I want to ghost all my software and
data off my old machine that has two drives and I like to keep
software on one drive and data on another. I could swap to
another larger case with more bays but the audio/USB/IE 1394 is
going to be hard to fit as it has a non standard means of
attachment (to the outside of the bay face) and the memory card
reader is going to extend from the front of the case a bit. Any
ideas or possible solutions - meantime I'm on the look out for
replacement standard bay memory card readers and
USB/Audio/Firewire front panels. At least HP said my warranty
won't be voided by changing cases.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

aussieblu wrote:
> While the upgrading and servicing guide that came with it shows
> a little cradle for a 2nd harddrive below the existing hard
> drive, there isn't such a cradle in mine (or on HP parts
> surfer) . HP support say with all the other bays occupied (with
> 1DVD reader writer, 1 CD reader Writer, one memory card reader,
> one 3.5 " drive, one sound/USB/IE1394 output) I cannot add a
> second harddrive.
>
> I want two harddrives as I want to ghost all my software and
> data off my old machine that has two drives and I like to keep
> software on one drive and data on another. I could swap to
> another larger case with more bays but the audio/USB/IE 1394 is
> going to be hard to fit as it has a non standard means of
> attachment (to the outside of the bay face) and the memory card
> reader is going to extend from the front of the case a bit. Any
> ideas or possible solutions - meantime I'm on the look out for
> replacement standard bay memory card readers and
> USB/Audio/Firewire front panels. At least HP said my warranty
> won't be voided by changing cases.

I also wanted to add a second drive to my Pavilion (a620n). Discussions
with tech support indicated it was not possible, no way it could be
done. They had a variety of reasons. No place to mount it, no available
power cable, etc. Then I called HP Parts in California. All I had to do
was order a "second hard drive kit". No hassles, no problems. They knew
what I wanted.

In my case, the case is a different style than yours. However, since the
upgrade and servicing guide indicates a second drive is possible, you
may have better success with HP parts.

Note: the part is nearly impossible to find on the web site. You need a
part number to find it.

craigm

Thanks I will give that a try.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

.......or perhaps it would be cheaper to move to somewhere in
North America where you are allowed to buy parts for this model.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

Phone response was the same; no cradle available.