[SOLVED] Is there a way to change my motherboard without losing windows and all of my files?

Sep 26, 2020
Hi, PC parts and hardwares noob here. I am planning to upgrade my super old mainboard (Emaxx EMX-MCP61D3-iCafe v2.0, chipset AMD K10 bridge) to a better one because it only limits my ram to 800mhz speed when it originally has 1600mhz. I've searched about this in google and it said that my data and windows will get wiped if i dont pick the right motherboard. Is there any way or how will I upgrade my motherboard and still have all my data?

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi, PC parts and hardwares noob here. I am planning to upgrade my super old mainboard (Emaxx EMX-MCP61D3-iCafe v2.0, chipset AMD K10 bridge) to a better one because it only limits my ram to 800mhz speed when it originally has 1600mhz. I've searched about this in google and it said that my data and windows will get wiped if i dont pick the right motherboard. Is there any way or how will I upgrade my motherboard and still have all my data?

If a fresh install of Windows would cause you to lose any data, you have a much bigger problem to worry about before thinking about an upgrade: lack of backups. Having proper backups is a basic part of PC maintenance, no different than changing the oil in your car or the air filter in your furnace.

Once you have proper backups, then you can properly wipe the hard drive and do a full fresh install, which is the best practice when changing platforms. If you don't have proper backups of your important data, even the lazy "just slap the old hard drive into the new hardware and hope for the best" method is too risky.

Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.

Sep 26, 2020
If a fresh install of Windows would cause you to lose any data, you have a much bigger problem to worry about before thinking about an upgrade: lack of backups. Having proper backups is a basic part of PC maintenance, no different than changing the oil in your car or the air filter in your furnace.

Once you have proper backups, then you can properly wipe the hard drive and do a full fresh install, which is the best practice when changing platforms. If you don't have proper backups of your important data, even the lazy "just slap the old hard drive into the new hardware and hope for the best" method is too risky.

Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but is there any way to just simply take out the old board, put in the new one and woosh, nothing changed except that I have my ram at full speed?

Sep 26, 2020
Regarding the RAM...what is it exactly (make/model) and what is telling you 800 vs 1600?
Be as detailed as you can.
(4gb DDR3 1600 mhz), Kingston, Desktop Dual Sided, Non-ECC ( DIMM, 240-PIN KVR16N11S8/4). I recently bought 2 of this online with good reviews and immediately installed it then I noticed there was no improvement on the speed of my computer. I checked cpu-z and saw that the 8gb ram is only running at 800mhz. I changed the BIOS settings thinking that it might help but I only saw 800mhz option for the dram frequency. I then later realized that maybe it is because of my very old motherboard(Emaxx EMX-MCP61D3-iCafe v2.0, chipset AMD K10 bridge).

USAFRet

Titan
Let's say I would like to avail a MSI A68HM-E33 V2 A68H FM2+ mATX motherboard.
When changing the motherboard, a full wipe and reinstall is the recommended Best Practice.
Win 10 is better than previous versions, but by no means 100% 'it will just work'.

3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
I've seen all 3.

Sep 26, 2020
When changing the motherboard, a full wipe and reinstall is the recommended Best Practice.
Win 10 is better than previous versions, but by no means 100% 'it will just work'.

3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
I've seen all 3.
On second thought, I'll just bring my PC to my local computers shop and let them handle it. Thank you for all the help man! I'm kinda new to this site, is there like a subscribe button I can click to repay you?