is there a way to connect broken laptops LCD to PC

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
i have an old dell laptop that is not working.. is there a way to connect its LCD to my desktop?? is there any place which gives the connections diagram ?? so i can build my own connector ??? or is there any ready made connector like that ???

Get the part number from off the LCD and then do a google search and a few other searchs (especially from the actual manufacturer of the LCD) I have had to search for a few schematics before. They usually are out there if you have the info/time. But it IS a pain in the but to find it.

DELL might not be as heplful as you hope. Probably better dealing with the actual LCD Mfr.

BTW, quick turn around, not everyone reads the site that often. Give it some time.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
well i think ppl only know talking about .. their computers and how much they have been spending on their computers.. or talking about gforce beats ati .. ati beats geforce.. bla bla.. anyway :)) if u dont know how to do it do not reply it ok :)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well...have you taken it apart yet...how many wires are going to the monitor? If its 15 than you may be in luck...but personally i don't think it is gonna work because the monitor requires a power source...so you will probably need a 12v source of power for it too.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
i dont know the brand of the LCD ... the laptop is a dell latitude... an old pII ... and how will i find the brand of the lcd ??? the laptop is not even working anymore.. the was a problem with the mainboard which guys at dell asked for $600 to fix... anyhow the laptop is not worth that much anymore.. at least i dont want the screen to be wasted.. :))

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
in the days of p2s, ill be damned if you could find a 14" lcd that did 1600x1200, at least not one that sold for less than 10 grand!!!

Some lcds have, i dont know what you call it, like over-res 'protection' or somethign??

Like if it only supports up to 1280x1024 (like MOST lcds today) then if you go 1600x1200, it will still display, but it will convert it to 800x600, maybe thats happening in your case and he just dosnt know it. In which case he should use the actual maximum res it supports, probably 1024x768:)

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Holy crap I just realised!! Someone deleted my post where i said "a 14" lcd that does 1600x1200? BS (spelled out) U show it to me"

Holy crap..

We do have occasional mods i guess.

*Sigh* So sad:(

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

No that was on ANOTHER thread. Man now YOU need some sleep! :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

:)) if u dont know how to do it do not reply it ok :)
Well I have done this before, and unless you can do what I posted above I doubt you'll ge far. If you can't figure out who made the LCD an find the part number, then plain and simply, You're HOOPED! Dell's NOT gonna help you, and saying it's a Dell won't narrow down your search.

Only with a proper schematic (listing what each wire is supposed to connect to/supply) will you be able to do ANYTHING. I picked up a 5in colour LCD (from an old cash register) from Princes Auto for $10CDN that I thought would be perfect for the front of my PC to monitor temps and use as a playlist monitor, for visuals, etc. Main problem, it was a (microscopic) pin-pin friction contact to the LCD, no cables. After finding the part number and searching the .net (for about 2 weeks) finally I got a schematic (under a 'similar' part number [the differe sometimes internationally]), in Japanese, that described the connections, and it turned out there were 72 micro wires connecting the screen. There was NO way to get this to work with a normal VGA plug (or even DVI or BNC, or anything) so I lost $10.

Anywhoo, unless you find the actual layout (usual availible on the .net somewhere [although you may have to pay a fee to get them]) for that LCD then there is no eay way to connect it to a PC, and any mistake will likely fry something rendering the whole thing useless. If you can't find the info, see if you can get an electronics store to find it for you, or better yet, simply have THEM add a VGA plug plus some kind of power adapter. In any case not an overnight job.

Good Luck!