Question is there a way to copy my old game CDs?

parsimonius

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
What options do I have? I bought several RPG games back in the late 90s and early 2000s and continue replaying them. The CDs are reaching their physical end of life soon, being over 20 years old, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to replace the physical media (CDs) with new ones that should last for just as long. I have no real interest in buying the new "modern" versions of them due to changed game content between then and now. Nor do I plan to stream (?) them from a service like Valve, Steam(?) for privacy and security reasons.

The games were originally made by Wizards of the Coast, Bioware and Bethesda Software (Wizardry, BG/ToTSC, BG2/ToB, IWD IWD2. NWN, NWN2, Planescape Torment). I think only Bethesda Software is in business now d.b.a. Bethsoft. Do any of them offer a CD replacement program for old CDs nearing their EOL?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No one offers replacements as far as I am aware. Steam is a not a streaming service. They sell digital copies of games that you are then licensed to use. They are large enough that they aren't likely to go away any time soon, but that is up to if you want to repurchase old games through them, or other services like good old games (gog.com).

Game streaming is when the game is run on hardware other than your own, and the video is sent to you over the internet. These are usually subscription services.

Most common practice is to back them up as ISO files on a hard drive or solid state disc. Then you just mount the ISO as a virtual drive. Windows supports ISO mounting directly now.

You still need a tool to make the ISO files. I've most recently used a tool called ImgBurn.

Reactions: stonecarver