[SOLVED] Is there a way to determine whether an i5-3570K is dead

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
An i5-3570K on ASUS P8 H77-M used to work perfectly for a few years, now there is no beep, no display after the power is turned on.
I have tried two different PSUs that work perfectly on another computer.
I have replaced the CMOS button battery.
I have tried two different monitors that work on another computer.
I have tried the integrated video and a separate video card.
I have tried taking out all the RAMs.
The CPU fan runs fine.

Is there anything else I should do?

Solution
I am unable to explain this. The few aforementioned steps are all I did.
When something quits working and magically comes back to life after dis-assembly and re-assembly, it usually means that your issue was a weak electrical contact somewhere and re-assembly cleared it up at least temporarily.
An i5-3570K on ASUS P8 H77-M used to work perfectly for a few years, now there is no beep, no display after the power is turned on.
I have tried two different PSUs that work perfectly on another computer.
I have replaced the CMOS button battery.
I have tried two different monitors that work on another computer.
I have tried the integrated video and a separate video card.
I have tried taking out all the RAMs.
The CPU fan runs fine.

Is there anything else I should do?
Throw it another mobo and test it.

Reactions: zipswich

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Reactions: zipswich

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
You could buy a cheap CPU like Pentium G630 for $3.85 from Ebay. Not sure what bios is currently on your motherboard. However, from Asus website, your 3570K must be at least on version 0229 and it happens to match for pentium G630, so you can try it out to see whether your CPU or motherboard is dead. This is cheaper than getting motherboard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentium-G6...164811?hash=item5b557b40cb:g:hSgAAOSwfO1csM4A

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M/HelpDesk_CPU/
Thanks a lot for the tip. That is exactly what I was considering, now I have much more confidence in this approach.
I went to Asus's website, started searching for the CPU at the top of the list = Celeron G470 , and found one on eBay for $11, did not know that Pentium ones were better choices.
I will report back here after testing a different CPU on this mobo.

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I tested it again this morning and got the same result, so I took off the CPU fan, took a look at the CPU and the socket, saw nothing abnormal. I thought I would give it a last try before ordering a Pentium. Hallelujah! It started working.
I am unable to explain this. The few aforementioned steps are all I did.