Is there a way to directly access an HDD in a laptop without removing it?

pokoman99

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
I have a new laptop that I need to copy over the OS and all the files from my old laptop. I was going to simply remove both HDDs and use software to make a carbon copy of one to the other, but I don't believe that the new laptop's HDD is user accessible. Is there any way that i can plug my laptop into my desktop to access the hard drive to make the copy?

Solution
Sorry not totally true. You could do a backup using a thumb drive and an external hdd to create a backup image. Then thumb drive and external hdd on the other system and image over. You need a backup software that can create a backup image of a drive, and do a bare metal restore, then you need to install new drivers on the new system.

Aomei backup can do it, but you may need the pro version for bare metal restore.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Sorry not totally true. You could do a backup using a thumb drive and an external hdd to create a backup image. Then thumb drive and external hdd on the other system and image over. You need a backup software that can create a backup image of a drive, and do a bare metal restore, then you need to install new drivers on the new system.

Aomei backup can do it, but you may need the pro version for bare metal restore.

Solution
you dont want to clone your old os and move it. both laptops unless there the same model are going to have drivers that are not the same. if the new laptop has it own os and restotre partion your better off turning on file sharing and network sharing on both laptops and copy your personal data over and then reload your aps.

1. It's a relatively simple matter to use a disk-cloning program to clone the contents of the laptop's HDD over to a desktop's HDD (or SSD). Obviously you'll need a USB connection from the laptop to the desktop - either a USB external HDD (or SSD) device or one of those USB to SSA cables for transmission of the data from the laptop's drive to the desktop's drive.

2. Now the hard part arises. Presumably (you didn't say) you desire to use the data on the laptop's drive (including its OS) to install on the desktop's drive so that the latter PC will be a functioning computer utilizing the laptop's OS. So you're seeking a transfer of the OS + all add'l data onto the desktop PC.

3. IS THAT YOUR OBJECTIVE?

4. If it is, you may not be able to accomplish that objective because of the differences (hardware related) between the two different systems. The desktop system may simply balk at accommodating the transfer of the OS.

5. ON THE OTHER HAND...

6. It might be quite possible as JTWrenn has suggested. As a practical matter there's no definitive way to tell whether this will work or will not work. If you're lucky the desktop PC will boot to the OS straightaway with no problems. You may have to install modified drivers which presumably you'll be able to obtain from the manufacturer of the desktop's motherboard or it's conceivable Microsoft will install whatever drivers are necessary without user intervention. There's simply no telling. A number of factors involving various facets of the two systems & different OSs will determine whether the transfer will or will not work

7. All in all it's a crapshoot, plain & simple. As JTWrenn has suggested you can give it a try and hope for the best. There's really little to lose by doing so except for some time on your part.

USAFRet

Titan

After you make this copy, what will you do with it?
What OS's are involved?
What drive sizes?