[SOLVED] Is there a way to figure out if my motherboard has up to date BIOS?

The_Outlander

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2013
I have a GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC and an AMD RYZEN 9 5900x. I am aware that I might need to use Q-Flash to update the BIOS, but I would like to avoid that if possible, especially since the manufacturer itself warns about the danger of updating the BIOS.

The trouble is that I can't figure out what BIOS version my board shipped with. Some manufacturers apparently have a BIOS version sticker, but GIGABYTE does not. The serial number on the box begins "SN2122" which, according to what I've read, means that the board was manufactured in the 21st month of the year 2022. The minimum BIOS version I need was released in 2018, can I assume that GIGABYTE would never ship new boards with years old BIOS, can I find out for sure or should I just flash the BIOS regardless?

Solution
you can give it a shot with the cpu first. won't hurt anything if it does not start-up. just tells you, you have to update the bios.

might get lucky and it'll boot fine. then you can update the BIOS easier. only takes a moment to test out the cpu.

1 stick of ram and the cpu installed. does not even need the cooler on it. power it on and if it startes, turn it off real quick and you're good to go to install the cooler and the rest of the parts.

if nothing happens, then you know you need the bios update.

logainofhades

Titan
Download and install CPU-Z. Go to the mainboard tab, after opening the software, and you should see a bios date. Here is an example. This is assuming you can get into windows. I would update to the latest regardless.

CPU-Z-Mainboard-Tab.png

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
without turning it on there is no way to know.

you can boot to the BIOS and the version will be there, or if windows is installed, you can get it from there.

type "system information" into the search bar and it will give you the BIOS info, or a tool like CPU-z above will show it as well.

using Qflash is not a big deal really. things can go wrong but if you boot to the bios and run it from there, it should be fine. i've never had a BIOS update mess up over many years of doing it. just be careful and follow directions and it'll be fine. :)

Reactions: norcalsc

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can give it a shot with the cpu first. won't hurt anything if it does not start-up. just tells you, you have to update the bios.

might get lucky and it'll boot fine. then you can update the BIOS easier. only takes a moment to test out the cpu.

1 stick of ram and the cpu installed. does not even need the cooler on it. power it on and if it startes, turn it off real quick and you're good to go to install the cooler and the rest of the parts.

Solution

The_Outlander

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2013

Sorry, for the late reply, I'm trying to cover my bases and do everything correctly, but since it's been ten years since my last build I'm having to reabsorb a lot of knowledge.

Since case speakers are apparently a thing of the past I suppose I will have to rely on the tiny status LEDs on my motherboard. I guess if the CPU is recognized and functioning correctly the corresponding LED will NOT light up, which I find a bit unintuitive.

If the CPU LED does light up then I guess that means I have to use Q-Flash Plus to update the BIOS after all. Do you think I need to remove the CPU and the Ram before I try to flash the BIOS?