Question Is there a way to find out a custom build first was used?

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

Consider to buy a custom build pc, it would be delivered wiped out with a new Windows 11 on a new smaller ssd install ready for new owner.

Is there a way to find out a date when this computer first was build/used?
Even if they deleting everything and adding a new ssd before sale?

Some place to find out first time it was powered on? Or would it be impossible to know since the ssd is changed out and computer is reinstalled

Thanks for some help with this one

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Was thinking about to find out when it was build and how old it is, so nothing in the bios anything as a first build as i understand? Have a serial number but i dont understand if that is for the mother board or the tower? :)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Date first built could be assumed based on parts used. Actual use after a reformat, not as easy. If they left the old drive you could make certain assumptions based on the R/W. If they didn't reset OS you could possibly look back through the files as date modified, or possibly Reliability History.

Reactions: Kellerman88
Serial numbers and such may only tell you how old the hardware is. It doesn't tell you when it actually was first used.

The only hardware that I'm aware of that keeps a log of how long it's been powered on are storage drives. But it's about as good as a car's odometer. Just because it has a lower power-on time doesn't mean the hardware is more pristine or actually works.

Reactions: Kellerman88