Question Is there a way to install windows 10 using one pc

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
I'm building my first rig and I have the windows 10 thing here with me but my old computer is broken and when I watched a video on how to install windows you needed a usb with 8gb and a computer with internet. I don't have those things. What can I do

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What is the "Windows 10 thing here with me"?

If you do not have install media, no.

You can order a DVD/USB with your install media on it. You could go to a friends house or have them bring a laptop over. You could utilize parts of your new build to make the old one work and/or possibly use the drive from the old build to try and temporarily run it's OS on the new equipment in order to DL the install media.

Colif

Win 11 Master
And starting first part of install on one PC, and finishing on another, actually works.

I can see how that works, 1st stage of install is mainly about installing the installer package itself onto the hard drive after creating partitions, its after the first restart it actually installs windows and loads drivers etc.

Its certainly not the ideal way. Getting a friend to make USB is a better way. USB DVD is a waste of money - I have a blue ray drive in my PC and in 4 years its only been used twice and one of those was to install win 10... but cheaper to buy a USB drive.