Question Is there a way to know which is broken CPU/Motherboard?

Feb 23, 2020
Hope this is the right place.

I upgraded stock AMD cooler from the 1700 ( i'm not sure that coolers name) to an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo, at which point my PC stopped working... The display atleast, Fans, Lights, Hue+, Memory LEDs all seem to work but my monitors will not. If i unplug and plug back in any display adapter the monitor will power up say no display detcted or something and power down (i have tried DP HDMI and DVI across 2 different monitors with different ports). I thought that it must be video card, Setup my old AM3 system and the video card works fine. I have tried each stick of ram in each slot, tried restting bios, reseating CPU, i have checked every cable 10 times. I tried my RAM in my brothers PC and they work fine. the EZ debug LEDs on MSI b350 tomahawk are all off which i think is good (red light always on means problem?).

That is a long way to ask if there is a way to work out which or both components are broken, i dont have a way to test CPU and I dont have a second AM4 CPU to test the motherboard and i dont want to buy a new CPU if its the motherboard and vice versa

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
It might be worth trying plugging things into the motherboard and seeing if they work (e.g. try charging your phone, or another device, or a USB that flashes when turned on.

You may have potentially mounted the cooler wrong on the CPU and damaged the pins on the CPU.

its a long shot but maybe check if your CPU is plugged in for power? I had a similar issue too where my PC wouldn't boot but it was because my CPU wasn't plugged in.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020
Have you tried your old cooler? It sounds a lot like an improperly installed cooler.
I have had both coolers in and out multiple times, i will give it another go tomorrow when im not tired, must say though when installing the new cooler the motherboard backplate seems short, it didnt reach the fastening of the arctic freezer and i really felt like if i force the thumb screws down something might break but since it doesnt work anyway i will just go full force but both coolers were pretty firm no movement at all... If that does turn out to be the case my punishment of using this old am3 athalon is punishment enough i timed my pc it took just over 3 minutes to turn on and my HDD sounds like a geiger counter

Last edited: