Question Is there a way to make a "Windows to go" installation fully functional?

Oct 2, 2021
Seeing the price of internal SSD's and the cost of external's being about 60% cheaper, I sprang for a PNY 890? GB external SSD to run my operating system on. Without the bottle neck of a spinning disk, I was correct in my assumption that running Windows 10 off of USB 3.0 would be much, much faster than my SATA 3.0 platter. I guess I should have done my research even just a little bit with running OS on an USB device. Even though I set the Regedit flag to 0 for "Windows To Go", I am still faced with three problems:
  1. "Windows to Go" does not allow for in place upgrades, and would need to do a fresh install of what ever I want to upgrade to.
  2. "Windows to Go" does not have a Recovery Partition, I can create restore points, I have not dared see if they work.
  3. "Windows to Go" will allow me to get to "Windows RE" menu's, but when I try to use anything including Command Prompt which will open, all functional tasks are not allowed.
Is there any way to force these three items into functioning on a USB installed OS as they are on an internal SSD? If so, I would be very appreciative on how. When I search the Web, I can only find what I cannot do with it, and no instructions on how to override that. I am more than half certain, that there must be some commands somewhere, or switches to change, to make it fully functioning. After all other than this, it is a fully functioning and capable OS and I still have the in place upgrade option available, it just fails. Like I said, the "Windows RE" environment is still there, and all the buttons do what they are supposed to, just the operations fail.

Oct 2, 2021
An internal SATA III SSD is much faster than an external.
And NOT really any more expensive.

First, thank-you for your service to our nation! Even though it is now in serious need of aid.

The prices I were finding like I said, were up to 60% cheaper, with twice the amount of storage on externals, if I could even find them not being sold out. Best Buy, New Egg, Amazon... The External I got retails more than what I purchased it for, found a good deal on Ebay. I am about tapped out financially, purchasing hardware upgrades to be able to operate and purchase Oculus Quest 2, this external SSD was all I was able to afford.

As far as speed, I am satisfied with what I have. I am just hoping there is a way to make it fully functional.

you can make win to go from lets say rufus...that shouldnt be an issue
upgrading it is a bit tricky, microsoft discontinued it in win 10
you will need working windows and mount your win2go in a VM
with dism tool (google server deployments in VM) you should be able to do upgrades

Oct 2, 2021
with dism tool (google server deployments in VM) you should be able to do upgrades

I am already running from "WintoUSB".
So are you saying to use DISM to mount my Ext.SSD as a Virtual Machine on using another disk running Windows, and I should be able to in-place upgrade?

Oct 2, 2021
What specific SSDs were you looking at, both internal and external?

Yes, I know that Wintousb thing exists.
I asked, because you did not specify.

What Win 10 version is this?

Yes, I was looking at both. I dont remember the brand names I was looking at, I am sure Seagate was one. If memory serves me, 512GB Int's were over a hundred or maybe around $80.00? When I was able to find 1TB Ext's or there abouts for around $50.00. Found a few articles on the price difference, and they were all saying because the warranties on the Int's are much much longer, and they are viewed as a long term device, they are over-built so less come back. Also, they were saying that Ext's are not viewed as long term devices and because they are portable and designed as light weight as possible, they are not as rugged. Which this did make sense, at least to my mind.

I figured as much that's why you asked. I did not think that since Win2USB was cancelled, it might be important information.

It is Win10 Pro 21H1.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I dont remember the brand names I was looking at, I am sure Seagate was one. If memory serves me, 512GB Int's were over a hundred or maybe around $80.00? When I was able to find 1TB Ext's or there abouts for around $50.00. Found a few articles on the price difference, and they were all saying because the warranties on the Int's are much much longer, and they are viewed as a long term device, they are over-built so less come back. Also, they were saying that Ext's are not viewed as long term devices and because they are portable and designed as light weight as possible, they are not as rugged. Which this did make sense, at least to my mind.

I figured as much that's why you asked. I did not think that since Win2USB was cancelled, it might be important information.

It is Win10 Pro 21H1.
A $50 1TB external SSD is a substandard brand. Far more likely to die sooner, and much less customer support when it does die.

The better brands are more expensive for a reason.

Oct 2, 2021
A $50 1TB external SSD is a substandard brand. Far more likely to die sooner, and much less customer support when it does die.

The better brands are more expensive for a reason.

Yes, I understand that and is the reason Ext's are viewed as non long term devices.

Its just when I was upgrading CPU, RAM, GPU, and an SDD to run DCS on a Quest2 which I also had to purchase on a tight budget, I had to cut costs somewhere.

PNY is a name I trust. I planned on using it for one to maybe three years when I had the finances (other projects need my attention as well) to replace with hopefully an internal device, maybe another ext.

I am just hoping that I could get my OS to be fully functional. I have been given a work a round to upgrades which will come in handy considering W11 is around the corner. If I experience system crashes though, I am wanting to be able to access restore points which from my understanding relies on the Recovery Partition and also Windows RE would be helpful. These are things you need to think about in advance prior to problems God forbid they happen, but they do.

Instead of defending my decisions, I was hoping rather I would be able to find solutions. If there are none to the two remaining, I understand that.

I am fully well aware you get what you pay for. That is a lesson I taught to my wife... Yes, I am an experienced person in more ways than a few. Yes, what you think of when you read my handle is what it means.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The other reason I asked is that a substandard external SSD (1TB for $50) may not actually work properly.
No matter what is on it.

How it was created also may lead to non-functionality.
I've seen more than one person simply 'copy' the Windows install to a USB and assume it would work.

Just trying to get to the details.

But...

Looking around, likely the same things you've found...I'm not finding a solution for your issues.

Oct 2, 2021
The other reason I asked is that a substandard external SSD (1TB for $50) may not actually work properly.
No matter what is on it.

How it was created also may lead to non-functionality.
I've seen more than one person simply 'copy' the Windows install to a USB and assume it would work.

Just trying to get to the details.

But...

Looking around, likely the same things you've found...I'm not finding a solution for your issues.

It is not a sub-standard SSD that is causing OS to not operate properly, device is a credible PNY device albeit cheap; I have not seen that company build sub-standard devices, nor is it how it was created. It is how MS intended Win2go to function. But I understand those are questions that need to be looked at when trying to troubleshoot or find solutions.

"Windows RE" is not corrupt, and is there. It is just not functional by intent of "Win2go". What is missing, is the Recovery Partition. I am thinking maybe "Windows RE" functionality can be turned on, maybe someone else ran into this and knew of a solution?

I don't know if it's possible to build a Recovery Partition on an already installed OS disk? And if it were, would this give me functionality into "Windows RE"? Maybe I should have posed this question earlier, because I am thinking the answer to the former (if yes), resolves the latter, which I understand I might be wrong.

I appreciate you looking into this matter for me...

Seeing the price of internal SSD's and the cost of external's being about 60% cheaper, I sprang for a PNY 890? GB external SSD to run my operating system on. Without the bottle neck of a spinning disk, I was correct in my assumption that running Windows 10 off of USB 3.0 would be much, much faster than my SATA 3.0 platter. I guess I should have done my research even just a little bit with running OS on an USB device. Even though I set the Regedit flag to 0 for "Windows To Go", I am still faced with three problems:
  1. "Windows to Go" does not allow for in place upgrades, and would need to do a fresh install of what ever I want to upgrade to.
  2. "Windows to Go" does not have a Recovery Partition, I can create restore points, I have not dared see if they work.
  3. "Windows to Go" will allow me to get to "Windows RE" menu's, but when I try to use anything including Command Prompt which will open, all functional tasks are not allowed.
Is there any way to force these three items into functioning on a USB installed OS as they are on an internal SSD? If so, I would be very appreciative on how. When I search the Web, I can only find what I cannot do with it, and no instructions on how to override that. I am more than half certain, that there must be some commands somewhere, or switches to change, to make it fully functioning. After all other than this, it is a fully functioning and capable OS and I still have the in place upgrade option available, it just fails. Like I said, the "Windows RE" environment is still there, and all the buttons do what they are supposed to, just the operations fail.
Yes a usb3 ssd will be faster than a sata hdd.

Oct 2, 2021
Okay, It is time I update my SSD. I just mounted it using Hyper-V and that did not work. Because the install package could not identify if my OS was capable of the install, it refused.

Is there a way to do this from DISM mount a VM to install updates? If you can give me descript, short concise instructions I would be truly appreciative! I have not found any online to date.
Thank-you.

it is very possible that it can be dismantled pretty easily and have a normal sata disk inside which you can then just plug into your pc.
Not with Pny Pro Elite unfortunately.

Nax0d02.jpg