[SOLVED] Is there a way to merge partition 2 (logical) and 3 in a 4 partition hard drive?

Atif Khan

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I have a 1 TB hard disk drive which has 4 partitions. The first one is marked as System Reserved and is only 100 MB in size. My OS (Windows 10) is installed on a 120 GB SSD. I'm trying to consolidate all the partitions in my hard drive.

I've deleted partition 4 after copying all of its data onto volume 3. I believe I can easily extend volume 3 now that there's space available. Before doing that I'd like to merge my second and third volume. I was thinking of activating partition 4 and copying all of the data from 2 and 3 so i can merge them. But I'm not sure if it'll work. If it does then i can copy back the data from volume 4 to the new merged 2+3 volume and merge them all.

I've deleted most of the data from the drives (Steam games) so there's not much data. It'll still take me hours to copy back and forth.

Is this going to work? Will I be able to merge volume 2 and 3? If not, is there another way to achieve what I'm trying to do. I don't have a backup drive.

Here's an image from Disk Partition tool on Windows:

Solution
ucan go both sides as long its unallocated
What I ended up doing is move the data from F to G, delete F and System reserved volume and then I used a tool called EaseUS to shift the partition in the middle to the beginning of the drive. After that I just expanded the volume to the remaining size of the drive.

Atif Khan

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
what u can do which should be faster:
increase size of drive G by ~118GB
move data from drive F to drive G
delete partition F
resize drive G to full available capacity
So if the left and right partitions are unallocated I can join them to G? I assumed It's only possible to merge with the right side partition.

what u can do which should be faster:
increase size of drive G by ~118GB
move data from drive F to drive G
delete partition F
resize drive G to full available capacity
That's going to be long process. Any power failure during this will cause data loss.

Do it this way:
  1. Create partition H: 472GB;
  2. move data from F: and G: to the new partition H:;
  3. delete partitions System reserved, F; and G:
  4. create single partition I: 458GB in unallocated space;
  5. move all data from H: to I:
  6. delete partition H:
  7. extend I: to full capacity of the drive.

Atif Khan

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
ucan go both sides as long its unallocated
What I ended up doing is move the data from F to G, delete F and System reserved volume and then I used a tool called EaseUS to shift the partition in the middle to the beginning of the drive. After that I just expanded the volume to the remaining size of the drive.

Solution

Atif Khan

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
That's going to be long process. Any power failure during this will cause data loss.

Do it this way:
  1. Create partition H: 472GB;
  2. move data from F: and G: to the new partition H:;
  3. delete partitions System reserved, F; and G:
  4. create single partition I: 458GB in unallocated space;
  5. move all data from H: to I:
  6. delete partition H:
  7. extend I: to full capacity of the drive.
Thanks for the reply! I got it all sorted using the suggestions you guys gave and a tool called EaseUS.