[SOLVED] Is there a way to network a downstairs computer to a hub upstairs in order to game on upstairs TV?

Kezmo

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
Basically I have a computer downstairs and was thinking of running a usb-c cable upstairs to hub in my living room where my router is and my large tv. That way I can plug in ethernet to the hub, hdmi to the tv, xbox controller adapter, and wireless keyboard/keypad to the hub. That way I can play games upstairs as well.

My questions are will this work and if it is, is this the best way? Possibly any advice on what to purchase as well.

Thanks!

Solution
My guess is it won't work. This is where my knowledge is limtied and I am too lazy to look it up. Most USB cables have fairly short distance limitations. When you try to run something like a video montor over them I suspect it is even less.

Now I suspect there might be some form of KVM device that could so something similar. There are many models that claim to run fairly high video bandwidth over the network. I did not look very closely because they are very expensive boxes. The likely are doing stuff like video capture and compression to get it to work.

Most the issue is the video. There are a number of things that will extend USB cables fairly long distances but they are mostly used for very low rate stuff like a...
My guess is it won't work. This is where my knowledge is limtied and I am too lazy to look it up. Most USB cables have fairly short distance limitations. When you try to run something like a video montor over them I suspect it is even less.

Now I suspect there might be some form of KVM device that could so something similar. There are many models that claim to run fairly high video bandwidth over the network. I did not look very closely because they are very expensive boxes. The likely are doing stuff like video capture and compression to get it to work.

Most the issue is the video. There are a number of things that will extend USB cables fairly long distances but they are mostly used for very low rate stuff like a keyboard or mouse.

Reactions: Kezmo
Solution