Is There a Way to Overclock Without Voiding Warranty

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Hello, The title mainly explains it all, However I have an interest in overclocking by 3570k. I know that Intel lists a maximum recommended voltage, will the warranty be voided if i stay under that value?

Solution

The NH D14 cools just as well as the H100i, they move similar amounts of air, and the NH-D14 helps cool the motherboard as well.

Not to mention it's a fair bit cheaper.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

As long as you stay within the recommended limits, you won't void your warranty.

Milkth3cow

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
You can't void your warranty with a K-series CPU, or at least not that I know of.

If you ruin your CPU due to overclocking, then you can't get a refund or a new one.
But you can still overclock, and if anything goes wrong (non-overclock related) then you'd be alright.

So let's say I have my 4670k overclocked to 4.5Ghz and through a fault of Intel somehow my CPU cores die out - and it was just a faulty CPU in general, I can get a new one. But if my cores die out by overclocking, I'm not covered - even if I have a warranty.

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
sadly the grace period to purchase that plan has gone though. however here is another question. I am well aware of the risks of overclocking, but considering that i really dont want to go extreme with it (4.5GHz), what is the probobility that somthing will go wrong if i take it slow(.1GHz at a time) and play conservative with the voltage

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
i apoligize if this seems redundant. i just want to make shure i have all of my bases covered... i just want to make shure i dont break anything because my father is old school when it comes to pcs and thinks i will destroy it... and is putting doubts in my head.but i know if done properly it will reduce the lifespan, but by the time it breaks it will be time to get a new one anyways. but heres the question; what voltage range would you see at 4.5GHz and what temps would you recommend for 24/7 usage. i also intend on not keeping it at a constant clock because i want to use speedstep and only mess with the turbo frequencys not the base frequency.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Okay, awesome. (I personally would go for the NH-D14 over the H100i - Same cooling performance, quieter, won't fail or leak on your PC, and has the additional effect of cooling your VRMs, which helps when overclocking.)

On the topic of overclocking, it's only dangerous if you over-do it. For one, you're only planning to go to 4.5GHz, a perfectly reasonable clock for Ivy Bridge. Second, you're taking it slow, this is critical. By making small jumps in Clock speed and voltages, you almost are guaranteed a safe experience. I personally recommend not exceeding 1.25V to your Vcore, as you should be able to reach 4.5GHz with that voltage.

Here's a guide you might want to check out: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
i guess my reasoning behing the h100i is the fact that i just want to keep the temps reasonable on the cpu, but with the two 660's and all i want to try to avoid dumping more heat in my case hence the LCS

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

The NH D14 cools just as well as the H100i, they move similar amounts of air, and the NH-D14 helps cool the motherboard as well.

Not to mention it's a fair bit cheaper.

Solution

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
the problem is that i have a fair amount of heat slready being produced in the case. so instead of using the air cooler which will dump even more heat into the case the h100i will get it out immediatly via the radiator which i will have mounted in pull at the top of the case also i do not like the look of tower coolers and that it may not bode well with my ram

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Well, I think you have a misleading idea about air coolers.

Fair enough. To each his own!

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Also to be honest i am not to fond of the weight that it would place on the motherboard because i do move the machine and in the event that something goes awry i don't want that thing ripping a hole in my motherboard