Is there a way to permanently delete/disable Cortana on Windows 10?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

Is it possible to permanently delete/disable Cortana on Windows 10 such that Cortana will no longer show up in the Task Manager?

I tried getting rid of Cortana once before, but the result was that I could no longer search for anything within the Search Box (the box on the lower left-hand corner that says “Type here to search”). So I managed to get rid of Cortana, but at the expense of losing the ability to use the Search Box. Once I re-enabled Cortana however, I was able to use the Search Box again. So it seems that Cortana and the Seach Box are linked somehow.

With that said, is there a way to permanently delete/disable Cortana on Windows 10 (such that it will no longer show up in the Task Manager) without losing the ability to use the Search Box?

Thank you.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
You can disable a number of the functions (which i have done) but you shouldn't eradicate it completely as it controls the windows search function along with a couple of other critical functions.

post2sa

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
I disabled it with windows policy but it remained showing in task manager, r-clicking it shows it is searchui.exe that is running, disabling that stops cortana but then you cant search your system. For me I have shortcuts to all programs and needed folders on desktop and dont have a need to search my system. This also cut down the total memory windows uses, that and blackviper.com I now use one gig less memory.