Question Is there a way to reduce lag caused by many devices connected?

Sep 10, 2018
Hi everyone.

My Internet speed is extremely low, around 1.6mbps, and unfortunately I can't increase it even if I want to (no fiber here yet).

We have a wireless router, however I am personally connected to it using an ethernet cable (desktop PC). There are two more people living in the house which mainly use mobile phones and are often connected to the internet at the same time as I am, leading to Internet lag and so on.

Is there a way to prevent that? I heard something but switching channels however I am not quite sure how much this helps and I haven't looked much into it either.

I just want to know if there is a way to stop other devices interfering with the already weak speed. When many use it at the same time it's literally unbearable at times, especially when watching YouTube, playing games etc.

TThank you.

Some routers allow for bandwidth controls/priorities so depending on what you have you could look into that. Outside of that or upgrading your internet there's no way to decrease bandwidth usage.

For the people using their phones and mobile devices Chrome for android offers the ability to compress webpages to save data which will save a small amount of bandwidth used by them
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-save-data-when-using-google-chrome

1.6 is awfully slow but you don't need fiber to get faster, Cable internet is usually between 20-100 on average in the US.

Sep 10, 2018
1.6 is awfully slow but you don't need fiber to get faster, Cable internet is usually between 20-100 on average in the US.

Right now the provider gives me 25mbps which is fairly decent (which is also what I pay), however due to the fact that I live fairly far away from them the actual speed I get is 1.6mbps. At least that's what they have been telling us.

You talked about cable internet. I don't mind how much they cost unless it's more than 100$ or so. Right now I am stuck with this disgustingly bad speed which is unbearable, even more when I am used to 50mbps speeds since I don't permanently live here.

Can those internet cables improve speed? How so?

EDIT: Doing some research myself right now, but if you know more from personal experience that would be great.

Right now the provider gives me 25mbps which is fairly decent (which is also what I pay), however due to the fact that I live fairly far away from them the actual speed I get is 1.6mbps. At least that's what they have been telling us.

You talked about cable internet. I don't mind how much they cost unless it's more than 100$ or so. Right now I am stuck with this disgustingly bad speed which is unbearable, even more when I am used to 50mbps speeds since I don't permanently live here.

Can those internet cables improve speed? How so?

EDIT: Doing some research myself right now, but if you know more from personal experience that would be great.

Yeah you shouldn't be only getting 1.6 on a 25 connection, something else is going on, And if for whatever reason you are only capable of getting 1.6 you shouldn't be charged for the price of a 25.

Connections will always be a little slower then what you paid for due to various reason, for instance I pay for a 100 connection and get usually 90.

As far as a Cable internet net, what I mean is that the cable company provides it using Coaxial cables, the same stuff that carries a cable TV signal. There is also DSL which is provided typically by telephone companies and uses phone lines but it usually is maxed at 5-7 with a few offering 10-12.

Sep 10, 2018
Yeah you shouldn't be only getting 1.6 on a 25 connection, something else is going on, And if for whatever reason you are only capable of getting 1.6 you shouldn't be charged for the price of a 25.

Connections will always be a little slower then what you paid for due to various reason, for instance I pay for a 100 connection and get usually 90.

As far as a Cable internet net, what I mean is that the cable company provides it using Coaxial cables, the same stuff that carries a cable TV signal. There is also DSL which is provided typically by telephone companies and uses phone lines but it usually is maxed at 5-7 with a few offering 10-12.

Unfortunately after looking into it there are no companies here providing cable Internet.

I am not sure what to tell you. All I know is that we are paying and getting 25mbps but only 1.6 is the actual speed. The only excuse they use is that we are far away from the provider, and when I asked to pay less they said "It says up to 25mbps, not 25mbps", basically implying that "up to.." could mean anything from 1 to 25mbps.

Is there anything else I can do about it or just suck it up at this point?

Unfortunately after looking into it there are no companies here providing cable Internet.

I am not sure what to tell you. All I know is that we are paying and getting 25mbps but only 1.6 is the actual speed. The only excuse they use is that we are far away from the provider, and when I asked to pay less they said "It says up to 25mbps, not 25mbps", basically implying that "up to.." could mean anything from 1 to 25mbps.

Is there anything else I can do about it or just suck it up at this point?

Who's your ISP?

Whats the speed when you are hooked directly to the modem? Or is it a combo unit router/modem provided to you by the ISP?

How long is the Ethernet cable you are using?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone.

My Internet speed is extremely low, around 1.6mbps, and unfortunately I can't increase it even if I want to (no fiber here yet).

We have a wireless router, however I am personally connected to it using an ethernet cable (desktop PC). There are two more people living in the house which mainly use mobile phones and are often connected to the internet at the same time as I am, leading to Internet lag and so on.

Is there a way to prevent that? I heard something but switching channels however I am not quite sure how much this helps and I haven't looked much into it either.

I just want to know if there is a way to stop other devices interfering with the already weak speed. When many use it at the same time it's literally unbearable at times, especially when watching YouTube, playing games etc.

TThank you.
There my be nothing you can do. You could try connecting your modem to the box where the phone line comes to the house. Your in-house wiring could be hurting your performance. The only was to test it is to hook to the outside box.

Sep 10, 2018
Who's your ISP?

Whats the speed when you are hooked directly to the modem? Or is it a combo unit router/modem provided to you by the ISP?

How long is the Ethernet cable you are using?

I live in Europe, and I am from Greece. ISP is called "OTE/Cosmote" and it's the best in my country.

What do you mean about the speed? Sorry for my ignorance but I don't have much knowledge when it comes to stuff like networks.

The router was provided by our ISP for free, it's connected to a plug. I think it's a router only. Both wireless and wired options obviously. And I use an ethernet cable to connect it with my PC, the cable itself is around 1m long or so. Telephone is in another room by the way.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018
There my be nothing you can do. You could try connecting your modem to the box where the phone line comes to the house. Your in-house wiring could be hurting your performance. The only was to test it is to hook to the outside box.

How do I do that? Do I take the router as a whole and connected it to the outside box or? In that case how will I take use of ethernet?

kanewolf

Titan
the routers most ISPs give you are junk. look up the specs for it to see if it can even handle the speeds you do have.
I don't believe there is an ISP router provided in the last 10 years that can't handle 25Mb. If a wired connection provides 1.6Mb, then a more fundamental search is required to improve. A blanket "ISP routers are junk" doesn't provide any useful info.