[SOLVED] Is there a way to retrieve data from a dead hdd

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
I have an old hp laptop. I can't boot it and suspect hdd may be responsible for this. If my hdd is dead, is there any way I can retrieve data stored on that hdd? I don't have any backup of those.

Last edited:
Solution
Pull the HDD and use a USB adapter to connect it to another computer or connect it internally as a secondary drive to another computer.
What if the hdd is dead?
You may try to spend lots of money trying to recover it from a data recovery service like drive savers.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Pull the HDD and use a USB adapter to connect it to another computer or connect it internally as a secondary drive to another computer.
What if the hdd is dead?
You may try to spend lots of money trying to recover it from a data recovery service like drive savers.

Solution

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
You have to connect it to another working pc first.
Only then you can be sure, if drive is dead or is't just busted OS.
With busted OS, system is unbootable, but data on drive can be mostly fine and easy recovered.
I ran Primary hard disk self test from bios and it froze on 8%. I tried to reinstall windows but got stuck on setup is starting screen. So, I don't think it’s just busted OS. But I agree with you that I need to connect the hdd to another pc.

JaredDM

Honorable
I ran Primary hard disk self test from bios and it froze on 8%. I tried to reinstall windows but got stuck on setup is starting screen. So, I don't think it’s just busted OS. But I agree with you that I need to connect the hdd to another pc.

If you need to get the data back, why on EARTH would you try re-installing Windows?

Also, just FYI there are better companies out there who charge less than half what Drive Savers does. They're little more than a huge team of pushy sales guys with a mediocre data recovery shop attached. I've personally seen a case they quoted $2,100 for, then deemed it "unrecoverable" and we later recovered it for $800. So, yeah, overpriced and WAY overhyped service.

But, all the IT guys know them because of the boxes of flyers, stickers, shirts, etc. that they constantly mail out. Heck, I'll probably get banned just for saying this because they're probably paying Tom's for advertising too. All that advertising budget must come from somewhere..... and it comes from their unsuspecting customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: William133