[SOLVED] Is there a way to salvage this old PC?

Apr 19, 2021
This PC was used for typical home office and general task system in 2019. The motherboard is NEC mate MS-7479 VER1:1.

Here is some pictures of the motherboard and its connections:
View: https://imgur.com/a/91qo6v2

I did not touch the connections or rearrange them in any way.

The problem is whenever I plug in the power supply, the power automatically turns on (no switch) and the fans starts spinning, then stop for a while, then starts spinning again.
There is no output on the monitor.

Please help.

Last edited:
Solution
It does have a speaker on the board, should be making some beeps. If it isn't not a good sign.

Step one, unplug everything you don't need.

Disconnect the hard drive and optical drive, remove one stick of memory.

See if you get a picture.

Swap in the other memory stick, see if if you get a picture.

Pretty sure the memory is improperly installed as well, but that is a minor thing. One stick each should go into the color matched slots. Though if I find any documentation I will confirm that.

After that I would typically suspect the power supply. Might have 12V working but not 5V would be my guess. This is fairly easy to check with a multimeter, or more basically, plug in a phone or tablet on USB see if you can get it to charge. If...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It does have a speaker on the board, should be making some beeps. If it isn't not a good sign.

Pretty sure the memory is improperly installed as well, but that is a minor thing. One stick each should go into the color matched slots. Though if I find any documentation I will confirm that.

After that I would typically suspect the power supply. Might have 12V working but not 5V would be my guess. This is fairly easy to check with a multimeter, or more basically, plug in a phone or tablet on USB see if you can get it to charge. If not, 5V is probably gone.

Reactions: yidim61245
Solution
Apr 19, 2021

After that I would typically suspect the power supply. Might have 12V working but not 5V would be my guess. This is fairly easy to check with a multimeter, or more basically, plug in a phone or tablet on USB see if you can get it to charge. If not, 5V is probably gone.

I disconnected the hard drive and optical drive, used one stick of memory in each slot (different slot every trial, then used the other to do the same). Tried using 2 sticks (in the same color-coded slot, then switch it). But sadly the fan still behaves the same, there were no beeping sounds either.

I plugged in a phone into the USB port and it charges. I guess the 5V is still working.