Question Is there a way to test an Ethernet switch? My Internet is down after a storm.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
After a storm last night, my Internet is down, specifically what is connected to my switch, but not what is connected to my router. I don't have the money to replace the switch. Is there a way to make sure I need a new one?

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model information: modem, router, switch?

Where is the switch located with respect to modem, router, modem/router (if combined) and the devices being served by the network?

Can you provide a simple sketch or line diagram showing the network and the connected devices.

Does the switch have power? Are you able to test the switch on another outlet? Use other known working cables (Ethernet and power).

What is connected to your router: computers, NAS, printers, etc.?

If all connected devices work when they are connected directly to the router then the switch may have failed or been damaged.

Basically establish a working connection without the switch. Put the switch into the path and determine if the connection remains or is lost.

You will need to test all of the switch ports.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
That's a lot of questions. Let me start at the most basic points. Switch plugged in powers on. Power lights and ports are solid green, but no flashing. Unplugging my PC from the switch and plugging directly into the router restores service. This seems to suggest the switch, but again, the switch doesn't seem bricked. Is there any way for me to test the switch directly? It's an old Netgear switch.

Mod Edit:

I don't have money for a new one, so I want to make sure that is the issue and that it can't be fixed before buying a replacement.

I see you have 2 threads but since there is more info on this one I will respond here.

Unmanaged switches are very dumb. It depends on the switch what lights it has. When you plug your pc into the port do you get a light and it goes out when you unplug the pc. Are there lights that will tell you if it is 100mbps or 1gbit.

Start with IPCONFIG /all and see if the ethernet port is disconnected state.

There should also be a screen that show the ethernet status and the speed it is connected at in window. Microsoft likes to move this around between versions of windows and even some patches.

Does the router think it is connected to the switch. Does it get lights on its port. The router might also give you the status of the port.

In the end there is not much you can do. There is no firmware and no commands you can issue on simple switches. Maybe you get lucky and moving cables to different ports might make it work.

How large a switch is it. The simple 8 port gigabit switches are about $20.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I just get green power, and green when a cable is plugged in. I'll need a twelve to replace it. I'll start looking for options it sounds like. Thanks.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
If by rebooted you mean unplugged, waited a while, replugged, tried a few times with different orders of doing the same thing with the router, yes. If not, maybe.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Went out to the garage today and all of my lights were flickering like they were surging power in real time. Turned all of those off and turned them back on and they worked correctly. No such luck with the switch so far. No data moving.

After you replace the switch you might want to get a small UPS. It will protect the switch from the power constantly turning off and on. Since the switch pulls almost no power even small UPS last a long time when the power is out.

Most the time the failure in these small switches is the power block. Yours is acting like something else failed.
Generally there is not much inside these switches. Even if you had the tools and skill to replace the main chip it costs almost as much as whole switch does.

Ralston18

Titan
Question regarding:

"Went out to the garage today and all of my lights were flickering like they were surging power in real time."

Did that ever happen before the storm?

There may be other power/circuit related problems.

Storm being coincidental or contributory.

My recommendation is to have a qualified electrician check things out.

Flickering can be a prelude to worse things....

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Sad follow up. I purchased two new switches and everything seems to have come back on and is working again...except my ceiling mounted projector. It's an Epson 5050ub. It doesn't power on anymore. Any troubleshooting for that? :(

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Question regarding:

"Went out to the garage today and all of my lights were flickering like they were surging power in real time."

Did that ever happen before the storm?

There may be other power/circuit related problems.

Storm being coincidental or contributory.

My recommendation is to have a qualified electrician check things out.

Flickering can be a prelude to worse things....
Haven't ever had the power issue in the garage. It's only a few years old.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Garage

Re: "Haven't ever had the power issue in the garage. It's only a few years old."

Some problems do not immediately happen. Corrosion, wiring connections gradually loosening, cummulative damages from spikes, etc. Weakening circuit breakers... Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose.

Projector

As for the projector start with the User Guide/Manual for any troubleshooting procedures. Or Epson's website.

Is the projector getting power? What circuit is the projector on?

May be another reason for calling an electrican....

Price

Will not even speculate on the price being the same - too many variables.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
There are other items plugged into the outlet the projector is on, so power is getting to it. Also ran an extension cord to it that was giving power to something else just to check that. Just doesn't turn on. Local tv repair place is going to look at it if I take it down and bring it there. Figure it might be worth them looking at. Probably cost more than the 1k deductable for insurance, but I'm not sure how insurance will call the replacement cost either.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Local repair shop says projector is bricked. Said they can start by replacing the PSU at $500, but there will probably be further problems after that and they don't recommend trying to repair it. Insurance company says they don't recommend filing a claim for only $3k as it could lead to me being dropped if I have three claims in three years, and our area all had hail damage claims a year ago. Nothing in the budget to buy a new one. I think we are just not going to have tv? If you have any ideas, send them my way. Thanks.

The repair shop is not a true repair shop if they just replace parts. They should be able to repair the power supply. Now if they looked and it and some expensive part is fried then I could see but it is more likely there is some on board fuse or maybe some capacitor that is blown. There are repair places that do stuff like replace memory chips on video cards for a few hundred dollars.
Watching how that is done on youtube I am actually surprised they do it at all but then again many video cards cost well over $1000.

Maybe there is a repair place the specialize in fixing projectors. Worth even $100 in fees to have just have them tell you it is too expensive to fix.

The insurance industry is a scam. I had a lightning strike that damaged equipment. It was likely just a bit above the deductible but the I would lose my no claim discount for 3 years which totaled more than the deductible. In addition they wanted me to ship things like big monitors to be tested when I knew it was just a $200 power brick that was the problem.

Nope best buy is likely your worst option. These are a bunch of kids who think they know about electronics. Most likely can not use a ohm meter.

This would be like those old dingy tv repair places back when tv were a bit simpler.

You might have to ship it to someone if you can not find a place in your city.

I will give you a example of a guy who posts to youtube mostly to advertise his shop in california and try to sell his over priced repair tools.
Search for northridgefix. The guy is a arrogant jerk but he is very skilled and actually does share his knowledge.

I am not so sure I would actually use his business unless you happen to live near him. This is the type of repair shop you are looking for.
It will be expensive but your projector is still a couple thousand to replace.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Nope best buy is likely your worst option. These are a bunch of kids who think they know about electronics. Most likely can not use a ohm meter.

This would be like those old dingy tv repair places back when tv were a bit simpler.

You might have to ship it to someone if you can not find a place in your city.

I will give you a example of a guy who posts to youtube mostly to advertise his shop in california and try to sell his over priced repair tools.
Search for northridgefix. The guy is a arrogant jerk but he is very skilled and actually does share his knowledge.

I am not so sure I would actually use his business unless you happen to live near him. This is the type of repair shop you are looking for.
It will be expensive but your projector is still a couple thousand to replace.
Old dingy repair place is where I took it. It's the only close place. I checked for Epson repair, but their closest repair facility was 350+ miles away.

Anyone know a place near the twin cities?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My suggestion with projectors is to look on the used market for the same model. Actually an easy way to get spare bulbs as that is something a lot of people try first as a solution, then realize something else is wrong and try to get some of their money back by selling it as spare parts.

You may be able to assemble a working unit somewhat easily. $500 for a PSU swap seems extreme, but presumably you were letting them source one?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yeah, just the local place I know of. They aren't Epson authorized or anything. I can look into this, but I've never opened up a projector. I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for another lead to look into.

TRENDING THREADS