[SOLVED] Is there a way to test RAM that's not detected?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
EDIT: I'll just quit being lazy and pop it open and test 1 at a time. Will report back with findings.
EDIT2: Yep. Starts with 1 stick in, but not the other. Tried them both in same slot, so it's the memory.

I had 16gb of ram, but now only 8 is showing up as installed.

I was going to run memtest and/or memory diagnostics to see if one is actually bad, but I'm not sure if it'll even test the one that's not working, since it's not detected; my system shows 7.9gb of installed ram.

Is the only way to really test it popping it open and seeing which one the PC won't boot with?

Both RAM was working earlier this week as I had task manager opened and saw that it said xx/15.8gb or w/e.

I opened it and took both out and put them back in the same slots. I want to make sure it's the memory and not the slot, but idk if memtest or mem diag will tell me this info?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

One immediate comment: some motherboards now require that the first physically installed RAM must be installed in a specific RAM slot.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine if the RAM was correctly installed.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

One immediate comment: some motherboards now require that the first physically installed RAM must be installed in a specific RAM slot.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine if the RAM was correctly installed.

It's been sitting in the same slots for about... 3 years now? lol Just randomly quit this week sometime. Today was first day I noticed system lag while I had my usual stuff up, so it possibly just happened today.

All figured out now though. tried both in same slot, pc only started with 1 of them.