Question Is there a way to undervolt Ryzen 9 ? (total beginner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2020
I just purchased the :
Sager NP7958F1 15.6-Inch FHD 144Hz, 72% NTSC Gaming Laptop, Grizzly Thermal
GPU: RTX 2070 8GB,
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 Processor (3.1GHz), 12 core 70MB Gamecache
RAM: 16GB 3200 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Operating System & Version: Windows 10

Is undervolting the CPU possible? I've read that throttle stop won't work for it since its for intel. Also went to reddit and said that was not possible. But I feel like I needed to ask a second opinion.Maybe Ryzen master? Any help would be great!

Nov 8, 2020
What do you intend to accomplish by under-volting? You can try Ryzen Master, but you could end up with an unstable system.
Hi, thanks for replying! My goal is to keep my temperature low and just maintain performance when I play games (medium setting ) or doing any task heavy task like video editing. Yikes! a unstable system huh? didn't know if I mess with the voltage it could mess my computer

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Hi, thanks for replying! My goal is to keep my temperature low and just maintain performance when I play games (medium setting ) or doing any task heavy task like video editing. Yikes! a unstable system huh? didn't know if I mess with the voltage it could mess my computer
Ryzen master is what i use for my pc to oc and undervolt, There is a limit of how far and how high you can push the power before it starts affecting performance and a unstable system. if you Undervolt or overclock and your pc crashes if it saves you can reset the cmos battery and it will drop the changes you have made, so no harm here.

USAFRet

Titan
Why lower temps?
If the particular part is running below its actual max, it will give 100% of its performance.

Reducing the temp from say....75C to 65C imparts exactly zero performance benefit.

If it IS thermal throttling, look to your cooling situation, rather than 'undervolting' the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.