Is there a way to use another pc's/virtual machine's internet connection?

Zahej_

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
So here is what I'm wondering, I'm wondering if theres any way that I can connect to one of these virtual machines that are not too far away from me (about 10km) and use their internet instead of my own potato internet? The virtual machines have a full 10 gigabit connection, throttled to 1 gigabit inside the actual lan network, I would just like to know if there's any way, any way at all that I can somehow connect to that connection and use that instead of my own.

Solution

Copy the data to an external hard drive or flash drive, get in your car and drive to your hosting company, hand the drive to them, and ask them to copy the contents to your VM that they are hosting. I've actually done this a couple times with some extraordinarily large data sets. Course it helped that the company I worked for accounted for about 15% of the host's revenue.

If your VM host is too far, an alternative would be to copy the data to your laptop, drive to a friend's house or a business which has a much faster Internet connection than you, and use their...
Yes you can pipe your Internet connection over the virtual machine's. However, the speed of your Internet will be the slower of the VM's Internet and your Internet, minus a little overhead. So in that respect, no you can't take advantage of the VM's Internet speed while at home.

That said, if you are able to do the activities you want remotely on the VM instead of at home, it will be at the speed of the VM's Internet. So for example, if you installed Windows Pro or Ultimate on the VM and connected to it via remote desktop, you could use it over a 1 Mbps connection from home. Stuff you downloaded to the VM from the Internet would transfer up to its full 1 Gbps connection. Basically the VM is connected to the Internet at 1 Gbps, while its desktop display is connected to you at 1 Mbps. As long as nothing is going on with the display which exceeds 1 Mbps (no games or video), it'll be almost like using a local system with a 1 Gbps Internet connection. Except your data is stored on the VM instead of on your local system.

Zahej_

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I have physical access to the virtual machines, my download speed is 1MBps and my upload is 100KBps I dont think it would work with the transfer.

Zahej_

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Is there a way to directly transfer files from me to a virtual machine with virtual machine and cable capacity while ignoring the throttling of the connection by my isp?

Copy the data to an external hard drive or flash drive, get in your car and drive to your hosting company, hand the drive to them, and ask them to copy the contents to your VM that they are hosting. I've actually done this a couple times with some extraordinarily large data sets. Course it helped that the company I worked for accounted for about 15% of the host's revenue.

If your VM host is too far, an alternative would be to copy the data to your laptop, drive to a friend's house or a business which has a much faster Internet connection than you, and use their Internet to upload the data to your VM. But there's no way to go faster through your ISP than your ISP allows.

Solution