Question Is There a Way To Use Freesync with Nvidia? Help a Noob...

RileyM

Proper
Jan 24, 2019
So i have this 4k monitor from LG. It's not mine my friend bought it and he doesn't even game he does computer programming on it.

Anyway he doesn't use it anymore because he has a bigger monitor now. Anyway he didn't even know this is a gaming monitor.

And I just discovered that there is a (Freesync) setting in the options! I could cry I'm so sick of vsync and the lag it produces.

Problem is, I have a GTX 1070 not AMD.

I keep hearing there is apparently a way to get it working now? Can someone walk me through it or link to a good guide?

If Freesync isn't working well on your setup then Fastsync is worth a shot, I've used it before. As someone said, give it a try. Basically, your GPU just keeps rendering frames regardless of your monitor's sync, then when it is time for the monitor to display a frame, it just uses the most recent full frame that the GPU has ready. It is good for reducing lag, however it may appear less smooth to you like it did for me.

RileyM

Proper
Jan 24, 2019
If Freesync isn't working well on your setup then Fastsync is worth a shot, I've used it before. As someone said, give it a try. Basically, your GPU just keeps rendering frames regardless of your monitor's sync, then when it is time for the monitor to display a frame, it just uses the most recent full frame that the GPU has ready. It is good for reducing lag, however it may appear less smooth to you like it did for me.

I don't care about input lag, like at all.

I play single player games with an xbox controller and never multiplayer shooters and stuff.

I just want the game to be smooth ;)

And also what did you mean by "If Freesync isn't working well on your setup " I havn't even tried freesync yet.

I'm just reading it over now.

. However the one that says it works is the LG UD59 and I have the LG UD59P-b. Are they similar enough?
"-B" just means it is the black version
also what kind of displayport thingy do I need? right now I use hdmi.

and where do I buy this cord in town? Best buy? wallmart? somewhere else?
Generally it is recommended to get a certified DP cable, some of the cheaper non-certified cables are known to be manufactured improperly. You can get certified cables on Amazon, usually the Accell cable is the most common recommended brand.

See section 3.3 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

RileyM

Proper
Jan 24, 2019

I tried all the sync options really. also tr
"-B" just means it is the black version

Generally it is recommended to get a certified DP cable, some of the cheaper non-certified cables are known to be manufactured improperly. You can get certified cables on Amazon, usually the Accell cable is the most common recommended brand.

See section 3.3 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

I just bought one at best buy is that good enough?

i can now enable the free sync option in my monitor setting!!! I'm so excited

I have two options "basic" and "extended" any idea what the difference is supposed to be.

Also a new gsync setting in nvidia control panel is available. Here is what it says take a look and tell me if this is a good sign, View: https://imgur.com/a/Kc1rlMz

it says "selected display is not validated as G-SYNC compatible" does this mean it won't work?

I tried all the sync options really. also tr

I just bought one at best buy is that good enough?

i can now enable the free sync option in my monitor setting!!! I'm so excited

I have two options "basic" and "extended" any idea what the difference is supposed to be.

Also a new gsync setting in nvidia control panel is available. Here is what it says take a look and tell me if this is a good sign, View: https://imgur.com/a/Kc1rlMz

it says "selected display is not validated as G-SYNC compatible" does this mean it won't work?

TRENDING THREADS