Is there a way to virtually reduce the size of a monitor?

Yuchi

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
I wouldn't call myself the most tech savvy person, but I manage to get most things sorted out by myself.

Just recently, one of my monitors fell of the brackets and fell off the table causing about a quarter of the display to become broken, and unusable. So far this hasn't been a problem, but I was wondering if there was a way to, in essence, 'cut off' the part of the display that's broken, so the computer only outputs to the part that still works. It's a long shot, I know, but I was hoping that there is something I could do until I get my new monitor.

Solution
If the monitor has a scaling option, you can turn that off and lower the resolution, it will then stick the display in the center scaled to the resolution you set it to. The video options in the video card may have the same thing so intead of stretching to fit the screen it will center it and leave a black border around the usable area. So if you have a 1024x768 monitor and you set the resolution to 800x600, you will have about a 224x168 pixel border around the center where the image will be
If the monitor has a scaling option, you can turn that off and lower the resolution, it will then stick the display in the center scaled to the resolution you set it to. The video options in the video card may have the same thing so intead of stretching to fit the screen it will center it and leave a black border around the usable area. So if you have a 1024x768 monitor and you set the resolution to 800x600, you will have about a 224x168 pixel border around the center where the image will be

Solution