[SOLVED] Is there a workaround for very old front panel 9 pin socket connector to modern motherboard pins?

Jul 2, 2021
(skip to 2nd paragraph if you wanna skip backstory and head straight to the problem)

Ok so I recently upgraded nearly everything about my rig and wanted to put my old parts such as CPU, Mobo, Ram and other things into the dinosaur of a pc my older brother has been using since high school (he's 31 now). The problem being is that the case he was using wasn't made to have the parts installed be replaced. I'm talking rivets instead of screws with a design that makes it impossible to open. So I frankenstein the **** out of his case and drill my way in and finally get everything in order after a few hours with several compromises being made and r just as I was plugging everything in, I noticed a huge problem.

Basically the power button of this Moses aged case is a single rectangular black 9 pin female socket wire (10 holes but one corner is covered) instead of the various small 1 or 2 bundled up pin connectors of modern cases. In the old mobo it just connected to a 9 pin male connector on the mobo that was labeled F_Panel but this new mobo doesn't have that and have the various male pins for the modern 1-2 bundled up front panel socket wires. I don't want all the hard work of performing ungodly torturous acts on this case to go to waste so I'm asking here if there's a workaround for it.

I also have no idea where the front panel audio goes on the mobo since that's a different 9 hole female connector as well with the covered portion being the 2nd to the last hole but this is a secondary problem since I can just plug the headset / speakers in the back i/o

Motherboard is an Asus-B85 Pro Gamer motherboard

Thanks

Solution
If the old system was fully proprietary it would help to know who made it, a little. If not it should conform to older ATX standards.

Audio connector could be the older AC97 codec pinout which was phased out for Intel HD Audio. Your motherboard might actually still support switching internally to the new standard, in which case you could just plug it in.

Front panel is going to have all the same wires in it, just confirm what they are. A simple multimeter can be used to check the wiring.

Power and reset are just push button switches, normally open. When pressed they will connect.
LEDs should be able to be lit up
And the speaker should be fairly obvious.

Then it would just be a matter of removing the pins from the connector, wrapping...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If the old system was fully proprietary it would help to know who made it, a little. If not it should conform to older ATX standards.

Audio connector could be the older AC97 codec pinout which was phased out for Intel HD Audio. Your motherboard might actually still support switching internally to the new standard, in which case you could just plug it in.

Front panel is going to have all the same wires in it, just confirm what they are. A simple multimeter can be used to check the wiring.

Power and reset are just push button switches, normally open. When pressed they will connect.
LEDs should be able to be lit up
And the speaker should be fairly obvious.

Then it would just be a matter of removing the pins from the connector, wrapping each pin in electrical tape and sticking them onto the appropriate header locations.

Last edited:
Solution
Also, a lot of motherboards came with adapters to go from standard ATX connector to whatever the pinout was on the board in question. So if you still have the box for it, might check there or online. You'd really need to know what the case model was and whether or not the plug was proprietary or old style standard ATX.