[SOLVED] Is there an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter that will support 144hz for the Acer GN246HL?

Jun 18, 2020
Hello, recently I got a new GPU (RTX 2060 Super) which only has DisplayPort and HDMI ports on it. My monitor (Acer GN246HL) only supports 144hz with a DVI-D input. I have bought an active adapter, which is linked below. When using the adapter with the DVI-D plugged in my BIOS will work and my splash screen starts up, but windows 10 lock screen flickers and sometimes never displays an image and has the message: "Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor". I am, in fact, using the DVI cable that came with my monitor and would appreciate any insight or knowledge on this, because I do not want to buy a whole new monitor.

Solution
The GN246HL/GN276HL has issues with most active DP-Dvi dual adapters. So you unfortunately can't take the cheap route, you'll need the more expensive versions.

DP, hdmi, dvi etc are protocols, some of which are compatible like hdmi and single link dvi, so passive adapters work fine. It's when pushing limits like with dual dvi and 120Hz+ that the protocols get frazzled, requiring the adapter to actually rewrite the input format to the output format.

Unfortunately, the cheaper adapters dont work quite as well as the more expensive versions, so you still get errors such as 'incorrect cable'. Also, many adapters are fake. They say dp to dvi, but in reality they are dp to dvi single link, not Dual link.

This is good for your monitor...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The GN246HL/GN276HL has issues with most active DP-Dvi dual adapters. So you unfortunately can't take the cheap route, you'll need the more expensive versions.

DP, hdmi, dvi etc are protocols, some of which are compatible like hdmi and single link dvi, so passive adapters work fine. It's when pushing limits like with dual dvi and 120Hz+ that the protocols get frazzled, requiring the adapter to actually rewrite the input format to the output format.

Unfortunately, the cheaper adapters dont work quite as well as the more expensive versions, so you still get errors such as 'incorrect cable'. Also, many adapters are fake. They say dp to dvi, but in reality they are dp to dvi single link, not Dual link.

This is good for your monitor, lesser versions have issues

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only way to connect to a DVI monitor at 120+ Hz without a DVI output port is by using a DisplayPort to Dual‑Link DVI active adapter.

While you can easily find cheap DP to DVI adapters and cables, these products are all passive adapters, which means they are Single‑Link only, and will be limited to 60 Hz at 1080p. Be aware that these Single‑Link adapters are commonly advertised as "Dual‑Link" and may appear to have a full set of Dual‑Link pins on the connector, but they are fake. Any passive DP to DVI adapter is automatically Single‑Link only.

A Dual‑Link DVI active adapter is required for more than 60 Hz at 1080p. Note that not just any active adapter will work, it must be a Dual‑Link adapter. Active adapters that are only Single‑Link do exist.

I have tested the following DP to Dual‑Link DVI active adapter to support up to 144 Hz at 1920 × 1080 (not compatible with Acer GN246HL/GN276HL or BenQ XL2411/XL2411Z):
Amazon US

The above adapter does not work properly with some monitors, notably the Acer GN246HL and GN276HL, or the BenQ XL2411(Z). In that case, you will need a more expensive adapter:
Amazon US