Question Is there an advantage to loading vpn on cable.router combo over individual devices?

terrabill

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Hi,
A novice here, I just want to run my pc (which is currently W7 but may soon be linux) and stream to my tv. I bought a linksys AC1600 nodem/router combo but can still exchange for one that supports a vpn loaded on it. Conversely is there an advantage to having it on each device?
Lastly, I am trying out expressvpn and Cyberghost has a much better price, are there any free ones that come close to performance of a paid vpn?

kanewolf

Titan
If you have VPN software on the router, then the entire network can use it. The downside to a VPN on a router is that the CPU in a router is not powerful enough to provide high performance. If you have a high (100Mbit +) internet connection, getting a router that can support that in VPN is expensive.

terrabill

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
If you have VPN software on the router, then the entire network can use it. The downside to a VPN on a router is that the CPU in a router is not powerful enough to provide high performance. If you have a high (100Mbit +) internet connection, getting a router that can support that in VPN is expensive.
Thank you very much Kanewolf!

TRENDING THREADS