[SOLVED] Is there an advantage to plugging in an ssd that is gen 3 compatible to a gen 4 slot?

Jul 24, 2020
I am looking to do a new build and I am at the b450 vs b550 debate pretty much all my components that I want to get are pci gen 3 compatible so b450 seems to be fine but I have heard that pci gen 3 can still bottleneck ssd's sometimes and that if you plug them into a pci gen 4 slot you can get a bit of extra juice out of them, it also seems that the b550's get a little less toasty, can anyone give me some more info. on this? here are the ssd's that I am planning on getting:
https://www.newegg.com/mushkin-enhanced-pilot-250gb/p/N82E16820226884?Item=N82E16820226884
https://www.newegg.com/mushkin-enhanced-pilot-1tb/p/N82E16820226886?Item=N82E16820226886

Solution
A Gen 3 in a Gen 4 slot runs at Gen 3 speed.
A Gen 4 in a Gen 3 slot runs at Gen 3 speed.

Performance depends on the slowest device in the chain.

"but I have heard that pci gen 3 can still bottleneck ssd's sometimes "
Just....no.
I am looking to do a new build and I am at the b450 vs b550 debate pretty much all my components that I want to get are pci gen 3 compatible so b450 seems to be fine but I have heard that pci gen 3 can still bottleneck ssd's sometimes and that if you plug them into a pci gen 4 slot you can get a bit of extra juice out of them, it also seems that the b550's get a little less toasty, can anyone give me some more info. on this? here are the ssd's that I am planning on getting:
https://www.newegg.com/mushkin-enhanced-pilot-250gb/p/N82E16820226884?Item=N82E16820226884
https://www.newegg.com/mushkin-enhanced-pilot-1tb/p/N82E16820226886?Item=N82E16820226886
None.

USAFRet

Titan

Just....no.

Solution
Jul 24, 2020

Just....no.
ok thats good to know thanks, and then everyone keeps talking about how the fans are now removed from b550 on the mobo itself, is this due to the 550 being able to run cooler?

Jul 24, 2020
Any difference between them would likely be insignificant. Try Googling it.
Thanks for the responses from everybody I have been looking around, it would seem the biggest thing that would decrease the heat would be the power phasing for example if you compare the b450 tomahawk vs the b550 tomahawk the B450 has power phases of 4+2+1 vs the B550 which has power phases of 10+2+1 from what i understand those numbers represent different components that are able to supply power to the computer at different times, and I guess the motherboard switches between these components at various points in order to allow the other ones to cool down, which is why the temperatures would be lower if you have more components to phase between...?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the responses from everybody I have been looking around, it would seem the biggest thing that would decrease the heat would be the power phasing for example if you compare the b450 tomahawk vs the b550 tomahawk the B450 has power phases of 4+2+1 vs the B550 which has power phases of 10+2+1 from what i understand those numbers represent different components that are able to supply power to the computer at different times, and I guess the motherboard switches between these components at various points in order to allow the other ones to cool down, which is why the temperatures would be lower if you have more components to phase between...?
Good airflow through the case alleviates all. (Except for a very few components in the semi-recent past)

Reactions: CountMike

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
MOSFETs, capacitors, chokes, doublers... The design of a VRM is one thing, but what really matters is how it is implemented by the manufacturer. A good manufacturer can make a beefy 4 phase while a crappy manufacturer can make a crappy 12 phase. Also, the chip-set doesn't decide what kind of VRM the board gets. That is usually decided by the tier of the board. There are boards that differ $100s of dollars in price, but have the same chip-set. Usually you will find the better VRMs on the pricier boards.

What you are really comparing here (referring to the Tomahawks) is features. B550 has more features and costs more. B450 has less features and costs less. Can you run a gen3 ssd on a B550, yeah, but I doubt you will see any real world difference. Now a gen4 ssd on a B550 vs B450, you may actually see some difference say in some production tasks or moving large data, but if you are just gaming you are not going to see a difference.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS