Question Is there an app or utility for keep track of a build's total hours?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I see that in task manager "Performance" tab Windows keeps track of how long my session is since the computer was turned on. I was wondering whether there is, in Windows, or perhaps an app, that very simply just starts keeping track of hours logged by the system since boot and cumulates it over time, so that you can say, I've got 5,000 hours on this build, etc. I realize that some parts like gpus come and go but it would be nice to see a cumulative total.

thanks
Greg N

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem there is windows 10 gets new version updates every 6 months so although my last clean install was Feb, my install of windows thinks it was installed on 22 May 2019. WIndows doesn't have any data prior to that date as it was a previous version and that info isn't recorded on your user.

to see when yours was,
open command prompt
type systeminfo and press enter
it will tell you next to: Original Install Date

If your drives are original to build, you can look in HD sentinel and look at their power on time and work it out from that. Helps to check boot drive as storage drives may not be on as much.

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Actually, to save money, download Speccy free version - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
open it up and on the storage tab, scroll down through the headings and find Power on time

Power On Time 881.9 days
not bad for a 4 year old ssd

Thank you. Also hd sentinel would require me to dust off my DOS skills which were pretty good back in the day but that day was 35 years ago. I wonder if CPUID has something like that. It's such a simple thing to do. You'd think windows would do it. 🤣Or, well, maybe you wouldn't.

Greg N

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dos skills? Its just an application

fWjq44V.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every version of windows prior to 10, you could use the install date as except for when you install a new version of Windows, XP to Vista, for instance, it would remember its exact install date.

But windows only as accurate as it is reliable whereas HDD will know how much its been used and doesn't know what version of windows is on it

Win 10 gets a new version every 6 months, so basically a clean install every 6 months. It has long term memory loss :)

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well two interesting things about Speccy.

1. It shows my cpu temp at 91C about 55 degrees higher than CPUID or Unogine's readings during bench marks.
  2. I can see power on time for my SATA SSD and HDD but no comparable data on my two M.2 NVMe drives!

Greg N

Colif

Win 11 Master
not all sensors on motherboards make any sense. I have some that always show way over 100C, I just ignore them since PC clearly isn't on fire

what brand are the NVME drives?

Most makers have their own apps to check their health etc. Samsung has magician but it doesn't show a value in power on hours that makes any sense, it just shows a raw figure that doesn't appear to be hours as its too big,