Is there an ideal distro for a HTPC?

I have an old PC (2008 Core2Duo, 6 GB DDR2, HD 4850) that I was thinking of turning into a HTPC, and was wondering if any linux distros have been optimized for the role? (stuff like Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and various video formats for downloaded video.

Solution
There are two htpc's in my family. The old single-core AMD pc is running Mint 17.1 with the Mate desktop, and the newer one with Pentium Haswell processor is running Mint 17.2 with XFCE desktop (disable compositing on this one). Both use Google Chrome browser for Netflix, and the screensaver is set to come on after three hours (so it won't pop up in the middle of a movie). Both run on 1080p resolution and high-bitrate streaming with no video glitches at all. The important thing for me with Linux is to use a desktop that can easily disable compositing (desktop effects, transparency) because those effects can cause screen tearing during fast sequences in movies. I also set the power settings to never put the monitor to sleep. Both have...

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Most likely, the best out-of-box solution is Ubuntu Studio. It's quite easy to run Netflix on a Linux machine (assuming it's Debian-based), simply open up the terminal and do the following:

($ represents the command line -- message intended for people in general)
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Doing this should take care of most Silverlight issues.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
There are two htpc's in my family. The old single-core AMD pc is running Mint 17.1 with the Mate desktop, and the newer one with Pentium Haswell processor is running Mint 17.2 with XFCE desktop (disable compositing on this one). Both use Google Chrome browser for Netflix, and the screensaver is set to come on after three hours (so it won't pop up in the middle of a movie). Both run on 1080p resolution and high-bitrate streaming with no video glitches at all. The important thing for me with Linux is to use a desktop that can easily disable compositing (desktop effects, transparency) because those effects can cause screen tearing during fast sequences in movies. I also set the power settings to never put the monitor to sleep. Both have standard dvd player, no BluRay.

Solution