[SOLVED] Is there an issue that i can't run my memory at the advertised speed?

Feb 28, 2022
I'm running single channel 16gb ram that's advertised at 3600 Mhz, i used to have 2 sticks but i spilled some water on my desk and it got into my pc and ended up frying my other stick, the memory channels however were untouched, I know this since I tested all of them. I upgraded my GPU to get better frames in gaming, but realized my memory was holding me back, I'm planning on buying a replacement but for now I only have my one stick. When I overclocked it to 3600 Mhz my games kept crashing and eventually my computer crashed, can I not OC my memory like this?

If needed my specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 TI OC
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32GB (now 16GB)

Solution
Yeah I put it down to 3200 MHz and it worked perfectly, not quite looking to push it to its limits just trying to find something that isn't terrible in performance, also wondering why they advertise it as 3600 if it doesn't come like that already, is 3600 the safety limit to how far you can reasonably overclock it?
if you know what you doing, than you can overclock it even higher, lifetime warrranty :)

those sticks have aditional note on gskill page
Additional Notes

The memory kit will boot at the SPD speed when BIOS settings are at default.
Enable XMP/DOCP/A-XMP profile in the BIOS to reach up to the rated XMP overclock speed of the memory kit.
Reaching the rated XMP overclock speed and...
going past 3200MHz might need some tweaks with voltages on memory controller (vccsa/vccio)
but memory will still hiold you back even overclocked
single channel 3600MHz is about same as dual channel 1800MHz (well actually its still worst as latency will be quite high in single channel)

Feb 28, 2022
going past 3200MHz might need some tweaks with voltages on memory controller (vccsa/vccio)
but memory will still hiold you back even overclocked
single channel 3600MHz is about same as dual channel 1800MHz (well actually its still worst as latency will be quite high in single channel)
Yeah I put it down to 3200 MHz and it worked perfectly, not quite looking to push it to its limits just trying to find something that isn't terrible in performance, also wondering why they advertise it as 3600 if it doesn't come like that already, is 3600 the safety limit to how far you can reasonably overclock it?

if you know what you doing, than you can overclock it even higher, lifetime warrranty :)

those sticks have aditional note on gskill page
Additional Notes

The memory kit will boot at the SPD speed when BIOS settings are at default.
Enable XMP/DOCP/A-XMP profile in the BIOS to reach up to the rated XMP overclock speed of the memory kit.
Reaching the rated XMP overclock speed and system stability depends on the capability of the motherboard & CPU.
basicly it means, if it doesnt work, you have to tweak it a bit in bios

Solution

TRENDING THREADS