[SOLVED] Is there an OLED monitor for BOTH work and gaming even in the horizon?

NP

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015
I thought I was not asking too much, but maybe I do. I have been following the oled trend, and I am happy to see that there are now 32" and smaller monitors that have 100Hz+ refresh rates. But now I noticed that apparently every single desktop oled monitor has some really weird sub pixel layout that makes text look like crap. I am not going to do any fancy videoediting, it does not have to be color perfect, I don't mind those things. And I know there are ways around the burn-in, at least I myself am confident about that. But I can't live with a monitor where plain text just looks bad, that's where I draw the line.

So, is there any hope to be able to purchase an oled display where text looks fine, and that has 100Hz+ refresh rate in the near future?

Solution
Until Microsoft fixes their ClearType rendering to account for OLED subpixel layouts, no. While there are non-triangular OLED subpixel arrangements, they're really WRGB or some variant of it, so ClearType doesn't know how to account for that either.
Until Microsoft fixes their ClearType rendering to account for OLED subpixel layouts, no. While there are non-triangular OLED subpixel arrangements, they're really WRGB or some variant of it, so ClearType doesn't know how to account for that either.

Reactions: NP
Solution

NP

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015

Do you think it is plausible that it might happen? I mean, is it difficult to do? Is it expensive to do? Why wouldn't they just do it this year?

Do you think it is plausible that it might happen? I mean, is it difficult to do? Is it expensive to do? Why wouldn't they just do it this year?
It's possible it's on Microsoft's radar, but it may not be high on the list of things to do because OLED monitors aren't in widespread use. And for some reason, people think it's obsolete, either because they consider Apple's font rendering to be superior, or because of the prominence of displays with a significantly greater PPI than 96, making sub-pixel font rendering less of a necessity.

Reactions: npyrhone