[SOLVED] Is there any big difference between regular sized and mini GPUs?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I can find pretty good deals on the SH market for 1070 minis from Zotac, but is there any big difference between a normal one and a mini? Apart from cooling efficiency and aestethics.

Solution
Modern GPUs and their mini counterparts use exactly the same chip from Nvidia so in terms of performance, no difference. The difference comes in cooling, as the Mini cards have small fans, so they spin faster and get a bit loud. But they are cute as heck, like this Galax RTX 2070 mini.

6Mk7OGb.jpg
Most of the mini GPUs also come in a small form factor/SFF, having a single slot, depending on the Model though. These can fit in mini-ATX cabinets. The Regular ones are mostly dual-slot, and the length/height of the card is also more.

Some mini cards are also LOW profile/LP by make/design.

Last edited:

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Most of the mini GPUs also come in a small form factor/SFF, having a single slot, depending on the Model though. These can fit in mini-ATX cabinets. The Regular ones are mostly dual-slot, and the length/height of the card is also more.

Some mini cards are also LOW profile/LP by make/design.
Yes, I understand their utility and advantages. I probably made a mistake by not saying that I am asking it in terms of performance.

What are the performance advantages and disadvantages for those?

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Modern GPUs and their mini counterparts use exactly the same chip from Nvidia so in terms of performance, no difference. The difference comes in cooling, as the Mini cards have small fans, so they spin faster and get a bit loud. But they are cute as heck, like this Galax RTX 2070 mini.

6Mk7OGb.jpg

Solution

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Thanks! I understand that they have the same performance, it's just the cooling that is not as good. Yes, they look really nice aswell!
When I said same, well, not exactly the same, like the person above me said. However it's very little, to the point of negligible. For example, this particular Galax RTX 2070 Mini is slightly slower than the regular 2070s, but also it consumes less power than the regular 2070. They are clocked at slightly lower speeds to keep them cool. However under load, this card stays surprisingly cool and quiet.