[SOLVED] Is there any chance that I can fix that for a reasonable price?

Aug 13, 2019
Hi

The story's pretty short and painful, I got myself a MSI MAG241C, while connecting it a somehow managed to make it hit my desk hard enough to break display, LCD panel, whatever it's called

I already know that official service won't even consider repairing it because cost of new LCD display is basically a new monitor

Is there any chance I can get it fixed in unofficial service for a lower price, which would make it actually worth it?

And if so, what are the disadvantages? Is it something really bad like the display might be completely different therefore I'll get different colors or it won't even be 144hz? Or is the eventual downside something I could easily take like losing warranty because the parts aren't original or whatever?

Solution
Typically a monitor or TV are rarely economical to repair.

Can it be done? Sure. There will be lots of options out there for panels, as various other monitors (including "off brand") will utilize the same panel. You do run the risk of a lower 'tier' panel via unofficial routes though; less concern for number of dead pixels, etc.

You'd have to find out the actual model number of the panel being used, and search for it only. - or a donor monitor that has other defects, where you can salvage the panel.

I wouldn't even bother with an 'unofficial' repair center as, by the time they charge you labour to fix, you're back to uneconomical territory.

Open it up yourself, establish the panel being used, find & order a replacement...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Can it be done? Sure. There will be lots of options out there for panels, as various other monitors (including "off brand") will utilize the same panel. You do run the risk of a lower 'tier' panel via unofficial routes though; less concern for number of dead pixels, etc.

You'd have to find out the actual model number of the panel being used, and search for it only. - or a donor monitor that has other defects, where you can salvage the panel.

I wouldn't even bother with an 'unofficial' repair center as, by the time they charge you labour to fix, you're back to uneconomical territory.

Open it up yourself, establish the panel being used, find & order a replacement (panel, or donor) and install it yourself. It's the only way to end up "reasonable" in cost.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I think that an answer will depend on the damage.

If the monitor is connected - just at default settings what do you see? Find some multi-colored image as a reference.

A clear properly colored (sky blue, grass green, clouds white) image with just cracks in the glass or is all distorted and mis-colored.

The check the same image with different resolutions and configurations.

If only the glass is cracked the display may be salvageable but taking them apart can be problematic and reassembly may be difficult.

However if you find other problems (no image at all) then I doubt that spending money on even "unofficial service for a lower price" will be worth it. You pay for what you get....

Did you buy the monitor with a credit card? If so you may have some buyer's insurance that could help pay for a new monitor.

Aug 13, 2019
I think that an answer will depend on the damage.

If the monitor is connected - just at default settings what do you see? Find some multi-colored image as a reference.

A clear properly colored (sky blue, grass green, clouds white) image with just cracks in the glass or is all distorted and mis-colored.

The check the same image with different resolutions and configurations.

If only the glass is cracked the display may be salvageable but taking them apart can be problematic and reassembly may be difficult.

However if you find other problems (no image at all) then I doubt that spending money on even "unofficial service for a lower price" will be worth it. You pay for what you get....

Did you buy the monitor with a credit card? If so you may have some buyer's insurance that could help pay for a new monitor.
1/5 of screen is just black and there's a big crack(on black part of display) that is only visible when the screen is on, it's pretty heavily damaged

I don't know if we have something like buyer's insurance in Poland, especially if I damaged the product myself, but it wasn't bought with credit card anyway, I used traditional bank transfer

Aug 13, 2019

Open it up yourself, establish the panel being used, find & order a replacement (panel, or donor) and install it yourself. It's the only way to end up "reasonable" in cost.
How on earth am I supposed to replace panel, I can barely mount a radiator in my PC

I guess I can ask a friend if he knows someone who knows someone who...

Ralston18

Titan
That is substantial damage and repairs may fix one thing but then something else fails. Or the repair fails.

And, no criticism intended, if DIY (Do It Yourself) is not viable or even possible then let it all go.

Overall, I am in agreement with Barty1884.

I would not even "bother" with a friend of a friend etc..

Just get a new monitor and properly dispose of the broken monitor.