[SOLVED] Is there any danger in touching a GPU heatsink while the card is running?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I'm getting an awful grinding noise coming from near one of the fans on my GPU, so I've been messing around with it to try and locate the source of the noise.

Is there any danger in touching the heatsink while the card is on? Furthermore, if I use my finger to slow down a fan while the card is running, could this also cause any damage as well?

Solution
I've done that before, I would say you should be ok with the fan as long as you aren't stopping it or slowing for more than a second just to check it. As far as touching the heatsink, better be careful on that. Depending how warm the card runs might be a good way to burn a finger.
I've done that before, I would say you should be ok with the fan as long as you aren't stopping it or slowing for more than a second just to check it. As far as touching the heatsink, better be careful on that. Depending how warm the card runs might be a good way to burn a finger.

Solution

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
Yes I've done it. Not so much of harmful. You'd get burned if GPU is hot. The issue is however you should wear an anti static Wrist strap. Otherwise your slightest contact can short your GPU and break it.

TRENDING THREADS