Is There any Difference Between older SIMS and Newer SIMS?

If I get a Motorola V600 or a newer Nokia and use the SIM from my
older 6340i, is there anything I'll miss out on?

Is there anything better with newer SIM cards that give better
performance or more capability or better stability? (Kind of like
older CF cards vs. newer CF cards...)

Thanks,
Dan

>Is there anything better with newer SIM cards that give better
>performance or more capability or better stability? (Kind of like
>older CF cards vs. newer CF cards...)

There is no comparison between CF cards and SIM cards.

A SIM card is nothing more than your information (Subscriber Information Module
(SIM)). It has things like your number on it.

The beauty of GSM is that you can move the SIM from phone to phone without
calling the cellular company. Some people have a very nice expensive phone for
work, an old beat up phone for working in the yard and maybe one in between for
weekend outings.

Just change the SIM.

--
John S.

"Dan Graves" <dg@jjgoeiwkdxl.net> wrote in message
> If I get a Motorola V600 or a newer Nokia and use the SIM from my
> older 6340i, is there anything I'll miss out on?
>
> Is there anything better with newer SIM cards that give better
> performance or more capability or better stability? (Kind of like
> older CF cards vs. newer CF cards...)

Yes there is. The older have only half the memory. Also, GPRS cannot be
activated on the older for some reason. The size difference if I remember
correctly is 16k and 32k. I stumbled upon this when trying to get GPRS
activated on my wife's phone (older SIM). Upon closer inspection I also
noticed the storage capability was lower on it for names/numbers. Looking at
the cards, I noticed one said 16k and the newer said 32k (not sure those
were the two exact numbers, but the newer on was twice the older on. I am
too lazy to pull mine out and look at it now). The higher capacity and
ability to activate GPRS are the only differences I have noticed so far.

Thanks, Jason. That's along the lines of what I suspected. I suppose I
could use the newer SIM from something like a v600 in my Nokia 6340i?

By the way, what is GPRS?

Thanks again,
Dan

> Thanks, Jason. That's along the lines of what I suspected. I suppose I
> could use the newer SIM from something like a v600 in my Nokia 6340i?
>
> By the way, what is GPRS?
>
> Thanks again,
> Dan

Yes. If you have an older SIM in the 6340i, it will work fine with the newer
SIM, assuming the new SIm is activated. GPRS is the wireless internet that
does not tie up your line to use (known on Cingular as Wireless Internet
Express or WIX). They have a few packages with it, or you can use it on a
pay per use basis. It is typically faster than Circuit Switched Data, or CSD
(Known on Cingular as Wireless Internet ... uses typical dial in).

TRENDING THREADS