[SOLVED] Is there any downside from seeding of a network drive?

vernoxvernax

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
Hello,
I am planning to setup a computer to have some software running 24/7 (Transmission). I already have a Synology NAS with more than 20TB, but the boot drive of the pc wont be big enough for all that data.

Do you guys think there is any noticeable performance limitation by seeding/downloading of/to the Synology network drive (mapped)?

The connections will all be 1GBit.

PS: Yes, I know there is DownloadStation, but it does not fit my needs.

Solution
Within the Ubuntu PC, you should be able to just designate an accessible shared location in the Synology. Aim the torrent client at that space.

The PC is just a pass through to the large storage space in the NAS.
Performance? Test it. See what happens.

The gigabit LAN will almost certainly be the slowest part of the internal chain, but it is what it is.
And then your actual upstream connection with your ISP.

Ralston18

Titan
Performance will only be as fast as the slowest link in the process. More information needed.

I think that seeding would be unnecessary - just establish the Synology NAS as the target drive and send the data directly from the computer to the NAS drive.

That said, update your post to include a few more details about the host PC that is running 24/7, what OS and software is being run, plus the hardware and OS specs for the Synology NAS.

What else, if anything, is also being run on your network?

Also, I am going to transfer your post to Storage - more applicable category and there are some experts there who work with NAS etc. on a daily basis.

vernoxvernax

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
Thank you, mods. I am sorry for not providing enough information right from the start.

The main reason of this question is, that the software running on the pc will be a torrent client.
Currently, I have around 150 individual torrents storred on the synology and I want to seed them all, by mounting the downloads folder on the pc.
Even though I will be limiting the connected peers to some extent, there will be definitely more than 50 files uploading at any point of time.

The OS of the computer will probably be "ubuntu" or "archlinux".
Hardware: i7-7700k (8 logical Cores, at 4,20GHz); 16GB RAM
When it comes to the Synology, its a 218+ with only 2GB of Ram and 4 cores at 1.4GHz. (read speeds from windows = ~100MB/s)

USAFRet

Titan
Within the Ubuntu PC, you should be able to just designate an accessible shared location in the Synology. Aim the torrent client at that space.

The PC is just a pass through to the large storage space in the NAS.
Performance? Test it. See what happens.

The gigabit LAN will almost certainly be the slowest part of the internal chain, but it is what it is.
And then your actual upstream connection with your ISP.

Solution