Question Is there any fan that at 1000+RPM doesn't make so much noise?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I bought 5 arctic F14 no PWM fans, they are perfect but unfortunately I can't use them all cause they are too thick (27mm instead of 25mm), they run at 800RPM and I can't hear a thing. I bought some Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM and even at 800rpm they're loud:

At 1500RPM they're just too loud and unusable
I returned them and I was thinking to buy some Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax, but I watched a video on amazon

And it looks like they make exactly the same noise (I think the only difference between the NF A14 and the redux are just the accessories and the color.. But anyway).

I would like to know if all the fans are like that, or if there's any fan that is not loud at 1000RPM, do you guys have any suggestions?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
These Fractal Design GP-14s are only 18.9 dB at 1000RPM. https://www.fractal-design.com/products/fans/dynamic/dynamic-gp-14/black/ They are not PWM so only static 1000RPM. The PWM fans go to 1700RPM but can be twice as loud.

If you want to stick with Noctua you can see their fan specs here: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan Basically anything that is PWM will be louder as they can spin faster.

What do you mean with "anything that is PWM will be louder as they can spin faster"? If I buy the fans you linked for example, and I buy the noctua fans pmw and set them at 1000rpm why would they make more noise?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Any fan will be louder at such high RPM.

Arctic P14 fans (not F14 which are notoriously loud) are better in that regard, but they have awful motor resonance noises, at least in my case, when reaching certain RPMs.

What do you mean with "anything that is PWM will be louder as they can spin faster"? If I buy the fans you linked for example, and I buy the noctua fans pmw and set them at 1000rpm why would they make more noise?
PWM fans have a variable RPM on the fan. Since their max RPM is higher than the static 1000RPM, they will be louder at max RPM (1700 for example) than a static at 1000RPM. That variable RPM also means that they might be quieter since depending on cooling needs as they could be at 500 RPM instead (that all depends on their RPM range). If you want your fans to be at a static 1000RPM, there is little use in getting a PWM fan. At that point you should just get a fan with static RPM.

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
PWM fans have a variable RPM on the fan. Since their max RPM is higher than the static 1000RPM, they will be louder at max RPM (1700 for example) than a static at 1000RPM. That variable RPM also means that they might be quieter since depending on cooling needs as they could be at 500 RPM instead (that all depends on their RPM range). If you want your fans to be at a static 1000RPM, there is little use in getting a PWM fan. At that point you should just get a fan with static RPM.

Oh well yeah I knew that, even though I don't really understand how I got 3 arctic F14 no pmw fans but I can still use my motherboard to change their speed 🤷‍♂️

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
Any fan will be louder at such high RPM.

Arctic P14 fans (not F14 which are notoriously loud) are better in that regard, but they have awful motor resonance noises, at least in my case, when reaching certain RPMs.
Notoriously loud?? I got 3 arctic F14 (first video) and they make 0 noise, I didn't get the P14 because they are for radiators