Is there any harm in buying 4GB for Windows XP on Asus P5k e?

jzjz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hi all. After much reading, I've picked out a system and will try to order it today. It will will be Asus P5k-e with Q6600 G0, a Freezer 7 Pro or Tuniq, and will be over clocked to 3.6ghz or as close as possible. If I have to I will change cooling around and/or lap. I feel optimistic :D

For now, I want XP SP2 on it, but I keep hearing that I need Vista to see all 4GB of it. From what I recall, XP will show 3GB of it. However, I'd rather buy 4GB in 2 sticks now so if I upgrade to Vista I will have it ready.

Is there any thing wrong with doing this? Will it confuse XP in any way to have an extra GB it doesn't use? Also is there any problem over clocking a system to 3.6ghz with 4GB of dual channel ram? It should be ok right? My other choice could be to buy 2GB now and 2GB later, but I'd rather get it now. I also fear future timing issues with ram since it's so finicky. I'd rather get it all working from the beginning. I have tried 4GB in my XP system which is P4 3ghz. It worked just fine, but of course only 3GB showed up. I didn't see a problem, again I could have over looked something.

Are there any nasty surprising while over clocking if I get 2GB now and 2GB later? (4 chips). By surprises I mean timing issues, lock ups caused by having 4 chips that any one has seen. I do like the 4GB in two better though. I also heard 4GB 1066mhz wouldn't work, so I'll go 800mhz. thanks.

Here are 2 choices I was looking at. I heard they had big heat sinks on them. I don't know if that's a must. I could of course go with different memory if someone thinks there is a better choice.

2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

I have this config:
Core2Duo E6600@3.2
ASUS P5KE- WIFI
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 16MB
OCZ VINDICATOR CPU COOLER
OCZ 4GB REAPER DDR2 800 4-4-4-15
OCZ 8800GTX @612/1080(=8800ULTRA)
OCZ PROXSTREAM 1000WAT
THERMALTAKE ARMOR
LG M228WA MONITOR
XP 32 + SP3

I first had XP 64 for about 2-3 months and after than i changed it to XP 32 and i didnt see any performance loss

Between those RAMs u posted, the first one has better timings than the second, i say go for a 4GB RAM with 4-4-4-x or lower timings like this:

OCZ REAPER 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM with 4-4-4-15 timings:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

as u see i have this RAM (i have 4x1GB) and its solid

jzjz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
That's great news Maziar and thanks for the welcome here. :D That's a nice config you have there. More stuff than I have, LOL. I hope I can get the 8800 soon too.

It sounds like there is no problem in putting 4GB in the system even with XP then. So from your advise, that's what I will order. I will also try the timings you mentioned of 4-4-4-x with Corsair if I get that.

I'll also look over the OCZ REAPER too since it might be better and even cheaper. I will do it later today when I get back this afternoon. Thanks so much for your help. I can hardly wait to order everything :bounce: