[SOLVED] Is there any issue with having laptop rubber feet wear out?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Other than looking better, will worn out rubber generally have less "sticking" or grip? Is this not an issue usually?

I don't know if it's just me but I find the more my laptop's rubber feet wear out, the more sticky it feels and therefore actually grips better. Might this be a good thing or am I probably just imagining it?

Solution
Depends entirely on the feet in question, some materials may get more "slick" as they wear, others could get tackier and actually grip better.
Some materials also get tacky when aging, let alone use. For example, I picked up a PS3 controller a few months back for the first time in 6+ years, the thumbsitcks felt like warm gum and stuck to everything.
I don't think rubber feet wearing out have any real issues, except if laptop has fan or air-intake on bottom (many do)
in which case as distance to table lessens, airflow gets worse and laptop runs potentially into higher temperatures, causing more throttling.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I don't think rubber feet wearing out have any real issues, except if laptop has fan or air-intake on bottom (many do)
in which case as distance to table lessens, airflow gets worse and laptop runs potentially into higher temperatures, causing more throttling.
I see, thank you.
Do you know if the rubber would lose get more grip in general from wear?
For some reason it seemed to have gotten more grip with the sticky feeling.

Depends entirely on the feet in question, some materials may get more "slick" as they wear, others could get tackier and actually grip better.
Some materials also get tacky when aging, let alone use. For example, I picked up a PS3 controller a few months back for the first time in 6+ years, the thumbsitcks felt like warm gum and stuck to everything.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I see, seems the ones I have got more tacky which isn't too bad.

Other than looking better, will worn out rubber generally have less "sticking" or grip? Is this not an issue usually?

I don't know if it's just me but I find the more my laptop's rubber feet wear out, the more sticky it feels and therefore actually grips better. Might this be a good thing or am I probably just imagining it?
You might find that as they wear you are now getting more surface contact.

What has happened is you have worn off the high points.

Reactions: ShangWang