[SOLVED] is there any major difference between these cards?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
My parents decided to let me build a new gaming PC for my nephew as a Christmas/birthday present for him this year. I decided to make it a great christmas for him by chipping in on the cost of the PC and getting him an RTX 3080 for the build. Im a little confused after looking at all the different 3080's on the market.

I had been planning on either this...
Amazon.com: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDRR6X 320-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Torx Fan 4 RGB Ampere Architecture OC Graphics Card (RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10G LHR) : Electronics for $908 (but price went up to $935 and shipping date got pushed back).
or this...
Amazon.com: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity OC LHR 12GB GDDR6X 384-bit 19 Gbps PCIE 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card, IceStorm 2.0 Advanced Cooling, Spectra 2.0 RGB Lighting, ZT-A30820J-10PLHR : Electronics for $899

But late last night this became available direct from EVGA website....
EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3885-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR - 10G-P5-3885-KL for$739
and i pulled the trigger and bought it without really researching it.

Upon further investigation i noticed the EVGA seems small compared to alot of the other cards that are in circulation and im wondering if i purchased something might be considered subpar when it comes down to it? Assuming bigger means better PCB's, heatsinks, etc? Other then the size most specs seem inline so not sure if im concerned over nothing.

One thing to note...
He's turning 13 next month and this is his 1st PC. He wont be OC'ing anytime soon! At the moment, he will use PC for schoolwork, playing VR games on his Quest2 via Steam and for some PC gaming. I also do not plan on upgrading this build for him for at least a few years(except for maybe an SSD when he needs more storage down the road.) So if he starts playing some of the more GPU intensive games out there then whatever he gets now is what he will have down the road.

Am i fine or should i pay up even more and get him the MSI or Zotac instead?

At moment build consists of....
cpu- i5-12600k (purchased on prime day)
RAM- 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 MHz PC4-25600 CL16(splitting up 64gb kit that i use in my 2nd home office PC)
drive- SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2
case- Antec Dark League DF600 FLUX, Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case

mobo- TBD
AIO- TBD
PSU- TBD

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Personally I'd stick with the EVGA card since they're reliably built. You're having buyers remorse...just a small tip, ask before you pull the trigger :) helps save all the anxiety that follows with finding out you maybe didn't get a good deal.

Lutfij

Titan
Personally I'd stick with the EVGA card since they're reliably built. You're having buyers remorse...just a small tip, ask before you pull the trigger :) helps save all the anxiety that follows with finding out you maybe didn't get a good deal.

Solution
EVGA is a very solid brand, its a shame they exited the GPU market. They would not put out a sub-par card.
Given the age of your nephew, going with the cheapest option (the EVGA) was a solid move. He would never notice the difference, but your (and your families) wallets will.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Dont think it was really buyers remorse. Think it had more to do with the fact that i was tired and had been researching parts all night. Then when i saw a 3080 for that price i just jumped on it assuming all 3080's were basically similar.

Thanks for responding!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
EVGA is a very solid brand, its a shame they exited the GPU market. They would not put out a sub-par card.
Given the age of your nephew, going with the cheapest option (the EVGA) was a solid move. He would never notice the difference, but your (and your families) wallets will.
Thank for the advice. I actually read something last night discussing the fact they had pulled from the GPU mkt but in same article they mentioned the quality of there equipment and how good there customer support is, which i think made it easier to pull trigger last night.

Thanks again!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
you bought a 13 year old a 700 dollar card? I dont even have a 700 dollar card myself and im 35.

<Moderator edit for language>
Cant believe it myself! I just got 1st gaming card ever in my life earlier this year and im older then you by a little over a decade. Plus I had to go with a MSI Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming Z Trio when i made purchase because i couldnt even find any Nvidias at time that were below $1k. He's def one lucky kid.

Thanks for responding.